Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed?
RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed?
These companies don't care about the consumer.

Can you contact the DME that you got the DreamStation from?
Post Reply Post Reply
I removed the back panel. The two poorly designed plastic tabs are on the back side of that. I removed the broken tabs and put two pieces of light insulating foam in their place. Very simple, as insulating tape has adhesive backing. That seems to have done the trick, and if they fail at some point, they can easily be replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dreamstation is exactly 3 years and 4 months old. About 5 weeks ago I noticed that my AHI/PB numbers had started to climb. They increased so much that I upped the air pressure and humidity. But that had no effect on my high numbers. I had reached a point of getting ready to see the doctor.
Then three nights ago while sleeping I was awakened by a loud sound. The humidifier cover had popped open. Seeing the the latch was moving freely and not keeping the cover on tight, I attached some masking tape to keep it shut.
In the morning I noticed two things- one was that the Dreamstation was much quieter than before, and tw0- my AHI/PB numbers were back to normal. Seems there was an air leak, and I had simply gotten use to the sound.

Thanks to this thread I was able to take the Dremstation apart, take off the cover with a T10 torx driver on those 5 screws and examine the "springs:. They were both broken. I was able to effect a temporary repair using foal insulated tape, and will continue to figure out a more permanent fix.

It boggles my mind that Phillips uses such a weak plastic "spring system" that will bend twice a day, every day. And it further amazes me that a replacemebnt plastic back cover with those "springs" isn't available for purchase.

Anyway, thanks to apneaboard and this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
I removed the plate (5 screws) on the front of the humidifier and found where the two plastic pieces had broken off.  I cut two pieces of rubber gasket material (1.0" x 0.125" x 0.125") and used non-toxic glue to adhere them to the plate.  I reassembled the humidifier and, so far, no more lid popping up during the night.  It has made opening and closing the lid a little more difficult; however, it's not really too much of a problem.  HTH
Post Reply Post Reply
My Respironics Humidifier has also broken. 
Same issue with the latch plastic springs. Just the left side in my case but I suspect the other side will fail sooner rather than later.
No doubt it is a poor design and poor quality to it, that doesnt even allow for a replacement part.
I will try to with if the Distributor can do something about it, since it was covered by my medical insurance.
Otherwise, I will have to try some of the solutions other users have used.
We should all report the issue to Philips anyway, since they seem to claim no other reports have been send to them.
I think this should be a recall issue. These devices are not cheap..
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,846 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,222 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.