Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed?
RE: Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed?
Are the prongs on the “dry box assembly”?  If so, you can replace that part.

[attachment=13517]
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
    The "springs" are on the inside of the removable gray cover. They're molded into the cover, so the entire piece must be replaced.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, and political theorist
Post Reply Post Reply
A similar issue happened to my wife's unit where the humidifier chamber all of the sudden started leaking air. We tried replacing the seal to the humidifier lid, while there was improvement, the unit still leaked air. The latch would no longer hold the humidifier lid tight enough and hence when the pressure ramped up, the air would escape. Thankfully, it was still under a year that my wife had the unit, so she took it into our DME. They ended up replacing the whole humidifier unit with a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
$195 isn't that bad. I was charged $482 for a resmed autoset humidifier and chamber, $278 allowed by insurance. to the detriment of my credit score I have refused to pay it since these are included in the already ultra inflated retail price the dme provider charged for the machine. the charge is appropriate for replacements but not when buying a new machine with humidifier standard not optional equipment. it's easy money they're not going to stop charging if we keep paying.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2019, 07:31 AM)bluesboybob Wrote: If you use a heated hose there is no tightness at the humidifier connection. It uses a latch connector that you squeeze to release. Much less strain on the humidifier.

Hi bluesboybob! As I live in the Emirates the doc told me I don't need a heated hose (it's bloody hot all the time here) so I have the regular one. 

Do you know of any non-heated hoses who have the same connectors?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2019, 10:42 PM)Beamrider Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 07:31 AM)bluesboybob Wrote: If you use a heated hose there is no tightness at the humidifier connection. It uses a latch connector that you squeeze to release. Much less strain on the humidifier.

Hi bluesboybob! As I live in the Emirates the doc told me I don't need a heated hose (it's bloody hot all the time here) so I have the regular one. 

Do you know of any non-heated hoses who have the same connectors?

No, but you can use a heated hose and leave the heat turned off. It's a bit more expensive than a standard hose so you'd have to decide if it's worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought exactly the same thing about the hose connection when I first got mine, but it's been trouble-free for nearly 3.5 years. I've always held onto the connector when I remove the hose to avoid stressing it.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Post Reply Post Reply
There have been a few design/material selection uhohs with Dreamstation, this one with the humidifier closure, a few with the SD card slot latch and with mine the auto start/stop sensitivity has not been real good. This happens from time to time and usually results manufacturing cost considerations override good design considerations. For example, during the 1970s Oldsmobile front wheel bearings failed significantly more often than before or after. That was a significant problem due to undersizing or poor quality. Regarding the hose connection, a gentle rotation of the hose end while pulling off is helpful.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found a solution, and it should last longer than the original. Here are the details:

1. Get a window screen spring (see pic, available at Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon among others) and some 3M Removable Mounting Squares (or other adhesive of your choice).
2. Separate the humidifier unit from the CPAP unit by pressing the gray rectangular button on the bottom right and gently pulling the two apart.
3. Remove the 5 screws holding the back on the humidifier unit (see image). You'll need a special Torx security screwdriver bit (T10H) to remove them, like this one set sold at Walmart: [Commercial Link Removed]  Search Walmart for: EEE Kit/929547635 Torx Screwdriver Bits.
4. Examine your spring; it may not be perfectly straight. I had to bend mine with my hands to get it the way I wanted it. I also bent the u-shaped part to open it up slightly so the flat part of the spring rested flat against the back of the humidifier.
5. Cut a strip of 3M removable mounting square the same width as the spring and attach it to the flat part of the spring.
6. Set the back of your humidifier so the inside is facing you. Align the spring with the top of the humidifier back and position it so the free end of the spring can slide into the gap indicated in the picture. I suspect it will move around and bind against one side or the other if you don't do this. Make sure you don't cover the screw hole that should be just beneath it.
7. Firmly press the flat part of the spring against the humidifier back so the mounting square sticks well.
8. Put the back on the humidifier and fasten with the screws. When re-inserting screws into plastic, put each screw in place and turn it backwards while applying light pressure until you feel it drop into the existing threads, then tighten it. This will help avoid damaging the threads.

I thought about riveting the spring in place, and if the mounting square doesn't hold it I may do that in the future. I suppose two short machine screws and nuts would get the job done too. But this will be easier to remove and replace if needed in the future and doesn't require drilling.

I just installed this fix in my humidifier today so I don't know yet if it will prove to be durable over the long run. But it feels just about the same as the original plastic springs and latches the lid perfectly.

[attachment=13665]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

Post Reply Post Reply
mine too has broken the tabs on the subplate that tension the latch, using a little foam behind the latch to push it back right now but not a good permanent fix a stainless steel spring could be fabricated to replace the plastic ones that are prone to breakage, looking for the material to make it from right now, perhaps stainless steel shim stock, agree this was a not well thought out design with failure programmed into the part. I see the desing posted below will look into the parts at lowes to modify, the sub plate is not a part of the dry box it is a separate part that should be available but isnt.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,861 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,624 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,259 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,443 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,128 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 772 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.