Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Heated hose, bad night
RE: Heated hose, bad night
its matter of choice ... climateline set on auto works best for me and simpler too ... for now its set on 26C

Post Reply Post Reply
I talked to my brother about it. He said that for this level of flow rate, a glass thermometer is what they use. For their faster flow rates, they have a metal one and, when absolute precision is needed, they use a thermocoupler on their volt meters. The little snot said he won't send me one of them, though. He said something about they're expensive. Some people!

I have a glass thermometer. I am procrastinating something else so playing with this tomorrow will be a good excuse. The hard part will be the shaking it down between each test.

room temp (have an outdoor thermometer I'll bring in)
air without humidifier
air with humidifier and slimline
air with humidifier and climateline

How much time should the thermometer be held inside the hose? I figured string and a chopstick would hold it in place in the middle.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2012, 05:29 PM)Denial Dave Wrote: I think the aliens were at work last night. I switched over to a heated hose last night and had a very bad night too.

Dave

I think it was the aliens too.

But seriously you started with the humidity at max 100%
Start slowly & go up from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm an idiot. Oral glass thermometers only go as low as 96F. And my CPAP humidity only goes to 86F. Uh duh...

I am wanting a glass room temp thingy anyway. One day this week I'll go get one and use that.

Feel free to do this yourself! Just carefully document what you do.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
1. You have to use your mask with the heated hose and cannot connect the hose directly to your nose. Important!
2. I have a great deal of trouble with using a heated hose as I HATE breathing hot air.
3. You can use your regular hose. Try getting an insulating sleeve; they are cheap but get a good one with a zipper, etc.
4. Humidity? High humidity + cold surface = condensation = rainout. Try turning the humidity down a bit.

That's about the sum of it; I solved my rainout by simply turning the humidifier off but will be turning it back on as we enter cold winter nights (dry air) and I will probably keep it running low and put insulation on my hose to prevent the rainout. It has worked for the past couple of years for me. Depends I suppose on how cold you keep the bedroom and how high you keep the humidifier set at.

Good luck.

(11-04-2012, 02:28 PM)1440 minutes Wrote: New User.

We keep the heat low in our house, so I was getting rainout during the first 30 days. However, I had 100% compliance and AHIs were 1.5-9.5.

In order to reduce rainout, i requested a heated hose. Last night was the first night with heated hose and was also my first noncompliant night ever. I was only able to use the machine for 2 hours and slept terribly. My nose was red, too; what does that mean? I set the humidifier on 5, so I guess that I will try turning it down tonight. Any other suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2012, 03:37 PM)archangle Wrote: Turn the hose off and try it that way. Or switch back to the old hose.

Thanks. How do you know if the hose is turned on or off?
Post Reply Post Reply
...or...
Go by Harbor Freight and pick up an infra-red thermometer.
You just pull the hose off the CPAP humidifier and aim this thing down the open output port.
Zap. Instant measurement!
Since it is a non-contact measurement it never needs to touch the water or get that close to it.
It has 1001 uses around the home too.
Is your A/C cooling enough? Is your furnace as hot as it should be?
For $20 it's a great investment.

Cheers! Cool

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.