Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Gastric Reflux
RE: CPAP and Gastric Reflux
First, I'm envious of you who have had reduced GERD since using CPAP. Mine didn't change. Oh, I don't get the heart burn problem - I get high blood pressure from it (GERD causes post nasal drip into lungs). Hopefully, my weight loss program will help reduce that.

I agree with others - do not quit cold turkey when you have taken GERD meds for a long time. You need to taper down. I take 1 40 mg. capsule daily. Doc had me eliminate one every 4th day for a couple of weeks, then every 3rd day, then every 2nd day. However, I never got to go off entirely as it was obvious from the increase in coughing and blood pressure that I still had to continue the meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
The latest news on PPI's are that they MAY increase the risk of stomach cancer. And other increased side affects.

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/new...ach-cancer
Post Reply Post Reply
I started taking over the counter meds , but my doctor told me to stop because using them to often can damage your liver.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting experiences here.  I've been on esomeprazole for more than 20 years & have osteoporosis as a result.  Nice doctors I had who never told me that this drug can cause it.

[As far as acid.... When I had apnea really bad, I'd wake up in the middle of the night and lean over with my mouth gaping and acid would drip from the rim of my mouth. It was almost like the monster in the Alien movies. I really don't have an acid problem, and rarely take an antacid today but the apnea caused burning coatings of acid in my mouth many nights. I've not met anyone that experienced the same issue like this.  (Dangagner)] 

I've experienced a strong acid burning in my left nostril & down into the back of my mouth for a long time, occurring maybe twice a week.  Wakes me up.  It just doesn't seem like reflux as my throat & esophagus is not burning at all - any ideas?

Am intrigued by the idea of cpap dealing positively with GERD.  We don't have a great diet, therefore am quite acidic, because we're getting aged & less able to do much cooking we tend to buy pre-prepared sauces & frozen veges.  Be interested in some science on this.
I didn't know GERD meds can cause post nasal drip either!  Atm I'm being drowned in it.  Nor that it pushes it into the lungs, except to say I've just recovered from a dreadful chest cold of 4 weeks which I believed was caused by cpap, the theory being denied by my doc.
I have fundic gland polyps in the stomach (from esomeprazole), which science says has not been known to cause cancer.  Now someone here says that it may!  Oh-jeez
Wow.
Mrs.Magoo
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to read this thread - thanks for the experiences and information.

I still take an OTC (Pepcid AC) as a daily preventative, but since starting CPAP, my acid reflux symptoms have all but disappeared. Even with recent struggles over pressure settings on the machine, I am incredibly grateful for this benefit. I was changing diet, eating dinner at ridiculously early hours, and still had a supply of max-strength Tums at the ready for horrible middle-of-the-night coughing sessions.
-Jerry
In search of a good night's sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with silent reflux and have controlled it through diet and no medication, however, once in a while if I get careless with my diet, the acid gets into your airway and the C-Pap mask has solved that!!! Glad to hear you are getting positive results too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related? weiss27md 9 1,588 03-15-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  CPAP, ear problems, and acid reflux Reznik 5 1,635 08-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  Doctors say it is not reflux, what could it be? Dolla Bill 22 8,959 12-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: archangle
  [CPAP] New User - Bloating, Gas, diarrhea, reflux hatbox 7 4,077 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Esq.
Exclaimation WOW!! Just realized that CPAP has nearly put an end to my horrid heartburn and reflux kyhmm72 10 3,028 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Last Post: giagray
  reflux due to swallowing air Lisamarieknits 5 2,162 11-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Last Post: pnman-55
  Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and higher AHI#? pwgphoto 4 1,980 11-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.