Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Hello everyone, newbie question
RE: Hello everyone, newbie question
All this is very helpful, thank you everyone for taking time out of your day to help me out! Smile

I have been looking at masks and I think I want to go with a nasal pillow mask, but if I need a high pressure setting they say it is better to go with a standard nasal mask, does anyone know from looking at my test results if I would need a high pressure setting, or a low pressure setting...?
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 will handle high pressures,
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe that's a boat payment promo thing, masks that supposedly can't handle high pressures. Sounds pretty bogus to me. As far I know, all PAP masks can handle the higher pressures a CPAP can create if it's the right fit and adjustment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2021, 11:41 AM)Gideon Wrote: The P10 will handle high pressures,

It was from a youtuber reviewing masks, he said that nasal pillows can get uncomfortable with high pressure, not that they couldn't handle the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
nah. I've used the p10 up to 25 cmw with no comfort problems. if you're prone to mouth breathing or mouth/lip leaks, higher pressure can be a problem with any mask and especially the nasal pillows. that can be mitigated in many cases by taping the mouth, using a chin strap that pulls up not back and/or wearing a soft cervical collar. higher pressure can also cause aerophagia but I don't think mask type has much bearing on that.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience the best mask for higher pressure is the nasal pillows. With a youtube review, I guess you get what you pay for. I know Gidion has experience using the P10 with pressures consistently above 20 cm, and I know of others using ASV which has a wide range of pressure, that successfully use the P10. My pressure rarely goes above 18, but I still have to pull it away from my fact to see if the pressure is there. I think you're being misled by that review.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, thank you everyone for the great responses, it's nice to have so many knowledgeable people respond, I will be getting the P10
Nasal pillows, I do have a tendency to open my mouth, so I'll have to figure out what the best strap, or other options is for that, maybe just something to gently remind my sleeping brain to keep my mouth shut, I could probably use something like that when arguing with the wife in my awake hours too Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to give you a good practical idea of just how much pressure 25 cmw, the max your VAuto can produce.
Get a good tall glass to hold water of at least 10 inches deep. And a straw an inch or two longer.

Immerse the straw to near the bottom. Now the hard part, revert back to when you were a 5 year old and blow bubbles.
THAT is the maximum pressure your VAuto can produce.

I'm not saying pressure will not cause problems, but a CPAP or a BiLevel is really a VERY LOW pressure machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
While you are trying to figure it out, I'll throw this little trick in. If you can master it, you would be able to open your mouth and no air will escape. You could even talk to your wife... On second thought... she might prefer you didn't master this technique. Grin

Tongue Suck Technique:

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth. (Do not push on front teeth)
Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

This takes time to master, but you can practice it anytime.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Ok, it's good to have a reference to the pressure, thanks again! You have been very helpful as have everyone on here.like

I will probably have a bunch more questions when I get my equipment, I'm just glad this place exist to help guide me through it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 116 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 193 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 178 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 505 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 195 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 287 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 271 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.