Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Hello everyone, newbie question
Hello everyone, newbie question
I just did a home sleep study, I'm still waiting for my tax returns to get the doctor consultation done, but I figure I could start researching used machines in the mean time, but I'm not sure what type of machine I would need though, CPAP, BPAP.. there's is another one too I think.

I got my results back, but I'm not sure what type unit, or mask style I should be researching.

It seems like most things are CPAP, so I was looking at the ResMed S9 but I don't want to spend too much time if that unit won't work for me, but I do know I will need to have a SD card to use OSCAR program right?

I'll post my results, if someone could tell me if a CPAP would work that would help me get started, and sorry if my questions are all over the place, I'm new at this.
Thank you.Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hello everyone, newbie question
Forgot to post the sleep study results...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

1. You have Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
2. You want a ResMed. Either an AutoSet (CPAP) or a VAuto (BiLevel) will work with the BiLevel being more flexible but costing about twice as much.
3. The AutoSet should be fine for you and it is unlikely that your Rx will be for a BiLevel.
4. Look at Supplier#2 in the supplier list above for "gently"  used machines. They will come with a warranty and they do stand behind their warranty.

Masks
The best mask is, seriously, the one that works for you.  Your face, and your body are unique and what works for me, or anyone else, may or may not work for you.
Supplier#1 has a good mask return policy as you work out which is best for you.
1. Read the Mask Primer, see my signature
2. Try masks from small to large, pillow, nasal, then Full Face masks.  Smallerasks tend to have the least trouble.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what your budget is, but check Supplier #2, they sell low hour used cpaps and also open box new.

It looks like you would do well on a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  If funds permit, consider the
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto.  

Here's a link to OSCAR supported machines for consideration:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...d_machines

You can also find decent used machines places like EBay, Marketplace, Craig's list, etc., but you need to do research first and know what you are looking for. You would need to confirm machine hours, and be sure it comes from a smoke and pet free environment.

Check back with us before purchasing. We would hate to see you make a wrong purchase and waste money.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can find Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machines listed on Craigslist from time to time, but I find many are over-priced. You can use the SearchTempest search engine to expand your search area. Supplier #2 sells that machine new for $539 with filter, tubing and humidifier chamber, and will sell a mask at a reasonable price. I think a new Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows is about $95 now. Supplier #1 also has good deals at similar prices. Be sure to call for the best deals as there may be unadvertised discounts available. The also sell a low-hours used machine with a warranty for $389. Use these prices when comparing used machines, and remember it is all about the run-hours, and you want to reject any machine that has been used in a smoking household.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
More or less ditto the above.

At least you can rule out specialized Central Apnea fighters like the ASV, going by the report of no mixed or centrals.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2021, 08:59 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I don't know what your budget is, but check Supplier #2 they sell low hour used cpaps and also open box new.

It looks like you would do well on a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  If funds permit, consider the
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto.  

Check back with us before purchasing.  We would hate to see you make a wrong purchase and waste money.

Wow, thank you for the great replies, I checked with the supplier number two and there was no Aircurve V-10 that I saw, (I might have missed it), but there was the Airsense 10 autoset available, it comes with a lot of stuff, but asked if I want a "climate line air tube" thing, it looks like it attaches to the facemask, but I'm not sure of the CPAP comes with one already or not.

I also didn't see any hours of use on the gently used unit, or if I need to do anything to clean it, or buy new filters(if there is filters?)

Thanks again for the help everyone, your responses are very much appreciated. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The ClimateLine hose is the heated version, it would be useful to upgrade to this.

I'm sure second wind and others have cleaned the PAP before resale.

To use OSCAR you'd need a dedicated SD card to capture the data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Aircurve 10 Vauto lightly used is selling at Supplier #2 for $799. Just search "Vauto"
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have purchased from supplier 2 great service and great machine.  You can call them and ask how many hours the machine has.  They keep a computer listing of the machine in hour used.  I not sure if they will look over all machines and give you the least hours but they looked and saw the hours the machine I was going to buy had and they put a hold on it to sell it to me.  Mine had less than 1 month use.  I told my son about it and he bought one and asked about how many hours and his had about 1 week.  Of course you just divide the hours by 8 to get days.

They have 1 year warranty and you can buy another year for 50$.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.