Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help! Need advice re: problem machine
Gross 
Help! Need advice re: problem machine
Hello folks!
I am brand new on here and hoping for some help/support.

I was first diagnosed with OSA over 6.5 years ago. At that time I was my insurance paid for me to buy a machine and mask. The machine I ended up with was the ResMed S8. I did very well with it and it completely changed my life! I can't sleep even five minutes without it. It recently kicked the bucket and I bought a new machine, the ResMed S9, which has been an absolute nightmare!!! I should mention I am expecting and so oxygen levels are at an all time importance!

The problems I have been having with the machine are that it "pulses" and would feel like it was choking me before I could even fall asleep. It would also wake me up bc I felt like I was being choked. For over a week I was trouble shooting daily with the tech, at which point I said I was sure it was the machine, not me and asked them to see it back to ResMed. They send it back for warranty replacement but meanwhile have me a loaner S8. Suddenly I have my energy back and my headaches go away. After about 6 weeks they had a warranty replacement for me an I turned in the loaner. It has been about a week and I am exhausted and headachy.

The pulsing isn't as bad on this machine at all so I'm sure that machine had a problem but it is still not working for me. The pressure ramps when I have an apnea instead of going up smoothly which causes my mask to leak, and the pressure in turn to increase which pushes my mouth open. So now I'm not just tired and headachy, I have a sore throat and the irritation makes me phlegmy, which in turn makes me wake up heaving. Not a happy camper!!!

I have now been offered a trial on the Philips Respironics as they can't get me a new S8 (they thought there might be a few still available).

Any suggestions? Things to trouble shoot? Recommendations of machines to request? Similar experiences, or experiences with the respironics? I am at my wits end!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Need advice re: problem machine
Update: The new machine being offered is the Philips Respironics System One 60 series.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Amberbamber5, could you please update the model of S9 in your profile, it is written next to the power button on your machine, it must be the Autoset if you have a high and low pressure, the Autoset is the best in the Resmed range. Do you have the Ramp on or off, if so what is it set to? Also do you know what level the EPR is set at, it will be either 0, 1, 2 or 3. Have you had your data checked or had another sleep study in the last 6.5 years? There is free software called Sleepyhead that we can point you too to check your data if you want to review it yourself. Sometimes people do benefit from trying a different brand of machine. Obviously you still have to use a CPAP and get it right as soon as possible for your comfort and health, just keep trying until you get it right.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Tez said. Also, just curious. What mask are you using (the name of it like wisp, etc.)?
Post Reply Post Reply
It does sound as if the first machine was defective.

The S9, and probably the Respironics, checks a blockage by sending pulses down the hose. Depending on the response to the pulses tells the machine what kind of blockage and what it should do about it. It sounds as if the first S9 might have been stuck in "blockage detected" mode or whatever.

The other thing the pulse could be is how you have the EPR, which is the exhale pressure relief. The machine decreases the pressure on exhale and increases it at the inhale. I have noticed some pulsing when I had my EPR set to "3". The EPR numbers correspond to the pressure amount dropped. So if your pressure is at 10 and your EPR is 3, your inhale is 10 and your exhale is 7.

The other machine they are offering you is good as well. Get whichever you are comfortable with. Will they let you trial it for a few nights?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tez62,
Sorry it is the H5i. Currently I have the EPR and ramp both turned off as I tolerate well without either and seems a good way to eliminate possible sources of problems. The pressure is set for 6-16. My data has been checked and had always been fine. No issues at all. With the loaner I go back to having no issues so I know it is the machine... I have gone back and forth twice now. With the new machine, the ahi readout seems to always come under 1 (last check it was 0.4 and 0.6) I had the tech upload my data and she said everything was normal. She even sent I to someone with more experience who is now trying help me resolve the problem (unsuccessfully so far). I will keep trying! I don't have a choice, I can't function without my CPAP. My weight has also decreased about 40lbs and the same pressure settings are fine on the other machine so I'm pretty sure the pressure is where it should be... Thank you so much!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Amberbamber5, welcme to the forum
The pulse might be related to the way the S9 detect an apnea as it send a small pressure of 1 cmH2O during an apnea to determine if the airways open or closed. I have not noticed it but others said they did but don,t explain whats you,re describing
You want to sure that both machines settings are the same including pressure, Ramp, EPR and humidity levels (S9 humidifier works differently than S8 humidifier so comparison might not be possible)

It wont hurt to try Phillips Respironcis System One, machine algorthim might works better you.
Don,t accept model numbers below 460. Pro 460 and Auto 560 models are data capable machines.
Model number shown at the label, bottom side (remove water tank before checking)

Post Reply Post Reply
H5i is the humidifier. Right by the on/off button it should say Autoset, especially if you have been sharing the data.

If the EPR is off, then that narrows it down. The algorithm for the S9 was a good improvement over the S8. The data is going to be more accurate and no more proprietary card and card reader.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk,
Thank you for your reply! They are set exactly the same. Humidity may be slightly different though as you pointed out. Is there any way to control for this without removing the humidifier all together?i have replied to the email and have said I would like to try the respironics which should arrive next week. Meanwhile I have the S9 and the S8 loaner so I can play around a bit... Any other suggestions of changes that may help? I am aware that the FOT is likely what is causing the problem and that there isn't any way of changing that... This has been soooo much harder than adjusting to my noisy S8 when I first got it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,
Thank you! Yes it is the auto set. I had sent hubby up to read it for me. Tongue I live in Canada and the tech told me that they aren't ALLOWED to leave the settings unlocked. Gr. I figured out how to override and reset the system to defaults, then turn the pressure setting back on, EPR and ramp off. She also said that I can't read my own data because it requires the ResMed software. Is this not the case? Regardless, I'm told it looks normal...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,846 1 hour ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,585 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.