Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help with Humidity Level on S9/H5i
Help with Humidity Level on S9/H5i
I started using the ResMed S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier a week ago. I am coming from a Respironics model (the generation before System One). I feel I have a humidification problem with the S9/H5i. I initially set it to Auto with 80F (I have a ClimateLine tube) and I would wake up with a dry nose and mouth in the morning and sometimes in the middle of the night. The water level almost never went down a significant amount. I then switched to manual controls. Humidity at level set at 5 and 78F for the hose. I still wake up with a dry mouth and nose although not as bad as when I was using it on Auto. I also noticed that the water level was not going down much. I checked the diagnostics every day and there was no mask leak.
So I thought maybe something was wrong with the H5i. So I borrowed my dad’s H5i unit for a few days and the results were pretty much the same as I described it above. BTW I live in Toronto, so it’s warm in the house but it’s also dry. Thus, I expect the H5i to produce more humidity to compensate for the dryness.

So I ask the following:
(a) Is my experience normal for the S9/H5i combination and the conditions I described above
(b) Could something be wrong with the S9 CPAP unit itself as opposed to the H5i humidifier unit?
My pressure varies between 7 and 12, the median being about 9.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Humidity Level on S9/H5i
The S9 has a sensor that checks the ambient humidity of the room. But it should have worked when you put it on manual.

5 is the highest, correct?

Do you have a non-climateline hose? Use one of those, turn the humidifier as high as it will go, and try again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi happyguardian,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 01:49 PM)happyguardian Wrote: I started using the ResMed S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier a week ago. I am coming from a Respironics model (the generation before System One). I feel I have a humidification problem with the S9/H5i. I initially set it to Auto with 80F (I have a ClimateLine tube)
Thanks

Hi Happyguardian,
I ended up having to up the temp to 86 and humidity level to 5.5 (had rainout at 6)with the climateline tube.Room temp 70.Climate humidity relative to yours. Had guidance from therapist.Water level moves but not as much as one might expect.
That's the winter setting anyway.Know it's a personal preference...

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 01:49 PM)happyguardian Wrote: I initially set it to Auto with 80F (I have a ClimateLine tube) and I would wake up with a dry nose and mouth in the morning and sometimes in the middle of the night. The water level almost never went down a significant amount. I then switched to manual controls. Humidity at level set at 5 and 78F for the hose. I still wake up with a dry mouth and nose although not as bad as when I was using it on Auto. I also noticed that the water level was not going down much. I checked the diagnostics every day and there was no mask leak.

When I first got mine I ran it on auto 80/3 and with Oxygen just dried me out bad. So I cranked it to 4.5, same and barely any water use. So I raised the Temp to 85 and humidity to 6. Finally I was comfortable and I burned through all the water every night. I am using Nasal pillows and I never get rain out. Try cranking the temp up and the water up and see what happens... took me a week or 2 to figure it out and a lot of allergy feeling and snotty nose... Now I am good! Good Luck! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks
I am waking in the morning with the FF mask stuck to my face. It leaves a red mark around my mouth and cheeks.
I think I now have a slight fungal infection around my chin.
I switched off the humidifier and went back to the non heated hose but I was still damp this morning though not so bad as before.
Bedroom temp about 13C.

Anyone got any ideas.
Regards
John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Happyguardian

Have you tried setting the H5i to auto, the temperature to the maximum, and using the ClimateLine hose? If the 'air' feels to wet, then lower the temperature one degree at a time.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JohnD80

Might the red marks stem from your over-tightening the mask?

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
John80, for best results, you will want to start your own thread. Else it will get confusing as we are answering both you and the OP.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 86 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 473 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 432 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,164 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.