Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help with Power Supply
Help with Power Supply
I dug my REMstar pro C-Flex system one cpap out of the attic storage to give it another try. They say I really need it and I need something so I'm trying. I couldn't find the power supply so ordered one on line but not from Philips. Still same voltage but for some reason it runs for an hour or so and shuts down. I have to unplug it to reset it to get it going again but it just keeps shutting down. I know I can't use it like this. Anyone have any ideas? I don't see anything in programming that may cause it but something is. Any one have any way to reset it or know what m the problem is?
Thanks for the help.
Pat
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help
same voltage but for some reason it runs for an hour or so and shuts down. I have to unplug it to reset it to get it going again but it just keeps shutting down. I know I can't use it like this. Anyone have any ideas?

First off Welcome to the forum. Welcome
Sounds like your power supply is flaking out on you. I'm assuming your machine worked ok when put away? The power supply should be 12volts DC 5 amp. Do you have the 12 volt battery cable with the cigarette plug on the end for portable use? If you do you could use it to check to see if that's it . Power supply where I would start. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PTeague,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It does sound like the power supply isn't working properly.
Since you have had your machine in storage for a while, you may need new filters, hose and mask, just a thought.
Hang in there for more suggestions and Hopefully, when you get straightened out with your power issues, you can make a go of CPAP therapy this time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pat, and welcome. I hope you can make it this time.

If I were you I'd order the right power supply. You don't have to buy it from Philips, as there are other manufacturers that make them. For example, check out Supplier #1 on our Supplier List: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List.

Meanwhile, turn the humidifier off. That draws, by far, more current than the CPAP machine itself. Likely your power supply, although rated for the correct voltage, cannot put out enough watts of power.

You can still get some benefit by putting water in the humidifier tank, but with the humidifier off it won't heat the water. You can humidify your entire bedroom if you want with a humidifier like they sell at Walgreens.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You would think a brand new power supply would work. It is 12 volts 5 amps and new but it sure shuts down. I do have the humidifier shut down but do not have the 12 volt supply for it. I guess I'll order another power supply for it and hope that works.
Thanks for the help.
Pat
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 09:26 PM)PTeague Wrote: You would think a brand new power supply would work. It is 12 volts 5 amps and new but it sure shuts down. I do have the humidifier shut down but do not have the 12 volt supply for it. I guess I'll order another power supply for it and hope that works.
Thanks for the help.
Pat

Not all power supplies are created equal Smile Just ask Apple who had to offer free chargers to people who bought the cheap knock off chargers because they were messing up peoples iPhones....lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 09:26 PM)PTeague Wrote: You would think a brand new power supply would work. It is 12 volts 5 amps and new but it sure shuts down.

The CPAP machine shuts down, not the power supply, correct?

It's likely that the power supply is not properly rectifying (converting AC to DC). A cheap rectifier will send pulses of DC, having simply chopped off the negative half of the AC wave. These are typically used in battery chargers because in that application the pulses will work just fine.

Incidentally, there's a similar issue when inverting (converting DC to AC). CPAP machines are expecting to see AC that's a true sine wave and if they don't get it they aren't happy. Same issue arises with generators, too. PRS1 users are at an advantage over ResMed users here because we can plug directly into a 12-volt battery, thus bypassing all of the rectifying and inverting. Just make sure to use the proper cord because it contains circuit protection needed to keep surges from causing damage.

Quote:I guess I'll order another power supply for it and hope that works.

Get one from a reputable supplier of CPAP power supplies.

Type this into the Google search engine:

MPN #: 1058190 Power Supply & 1005899 Power Cord

Or, if you already have the power cord, all you need is this

MPN #: 1058190 Power Supply
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Power Supply
I bet cpap machines are programmed to be extra sensitive to faulty power and shut off. It is medical equipment that regulates breathing after all. So it's probably a safety feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Power Supply
(05-02-2014, 09:31 PM)PTeague Wrote: I dug my REMstar pro C-Flex system one cpap out of the attic storage to give it another try. They say I really need it and I need something so I'm trying. I couldn't find the power supply so ordered one on line but not from Philips. Still same voltage but for some reason it runs for an hour or so and shuts down. I have to unplug it to reset it to get it going again but it just keeps shutting down. I know I can't use it like this. Anyone have any ideas? I don't see anything in programming that may cause it but something is. Any one have any way to reset it or know what m the problem is?
Thanks for the help.
Pat

Do you mean you have a power supply, but it's not made by Philips Respironics? If not, get the actual Philips Respironics power supply. It's something like $50 online from any number of suppliers listed here.

Take the water tank out, turn the machine over and look for a number like P450 REF on the bottom of the blower unit. That way, we can tell you the right power supply to order. If it's a Philips Respironics System One, there are two different possible supplies.

That sounds like the power supply might be overheating. The next time it shuts down, or just after it's been running for a while, feel of it and see if it feels hot. Be sure nothing is covering it, and it's not sitting on something soft like carpet or cloth.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,405 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 979 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 565 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.