Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
(05-13-2016, 03:24 PM)slowpoke Wrote:
Quote:I am curious if anyone has tried using a inline bacterial viral filter to reduce the noise with the Z1? I have a Transcend EZEX CPAP and it is also is noisy at the mask end. The inline viral filter cuts that noise down more than half. I also made a little muffler for the Transcend and it is as quiet as my PRS1 now.

Can a Transcend waterless humidification system be attached to a standard hose so that it can be used with a different brand CPAP?

Thanks for any help.

there seem to be at least two versions of the waterless systems... one built into the mask which is kind of a "specialty" item,
and one that is just an "in-line" addition that works with most cpap set ups ....

I use the "in-line" version with my Resmed S9 when on motorcycle trips where the humidifier is too big to carry and would draw too much current anyway....

HDM makes them and they are called Z1 Heat/Moisture Exchanger (HME).
I hope it's OK to put link to mfg. website here:

http://hdmusa.com/product/z1-heatmoistur...anger-hme/
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 03:41 PM)bill-e Wrote:
(05-13-2016, 03:24 PM)slowpoke Wrote: Can a Transcend waterless humidification system be attached to a standard hose so that it can be used with a different brand CPAP?

Thanks for any help.
Slowpoke, you're confusing me a bit with what you are trying to accomplish.

I just watched the video for the Transcend waterless humidification kit. The Transend hose is a standard hose and therefore the mask and the humidification kit can be connected to any cpap. Transcend uses a hose adapter (so does Z1) to reduce the standard hose to fit the smaller machine.

In my opinion any efficiency gained by the Transcend design resulting in a slight increase in comfort (not convinced that there is any difference really) would be offset that you would be using a different mask than you're bedside unit...unless your desire was to switch to the Transcend mask 100% of the time.

What are you looking to accomplish?

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill,

I have a ResMed S9 with humidifier. I want to leave the humidifier at home when I travel.

The Transcend design looks superior to using a "universal" HME. But looking at the youtube videos on the Transcend it appears that the tubing has fixed special ends unlike the Z1 that uses an adapter.

I was hoping that some one had experience using a universal HME. Looking at your posts it appears that the Z1 HME is installed similarly to the universal so I guess the latter would work OK on the S9. Worth giving it a try anyway.

Thanks for help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Though it's difficult to tell, it does look like the tubing used with the waterless humidification system has the adapter built in. The Transcend does use the hose adapter like the Z1 so that you can use any mask and tubing, just not for that special mask.

As for efficiency, notice that even the Transend animation of the HME shows exhaled air passing through the HME back down into the tubing while some CO2 goes out the vent (I have no idea how that works) but in any case, exhaled air does pass through the HME whether the vent is placed before or after the HME. I know I've covered my vent when I exhale and I don't notice any difference in pressure with the vent covered or not.

Anwyas, the best price on the HME is the generic package ones (exact same as the HDM one) on a site called Direct Home Medical where you can save $2/HME in quantity 8. PM'ed u the link.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 07:35 PM)bill-e Wrote: Though it's difficult to tell, it does look like the tubing used with the waterless humidification system has the adapter built in. The Transcend does use the hose adapter like the Z1 so that you can use any mask and tubing, just not for that special mask.

As for efficiency, notice that even the Transend animation of the HME shows exhaled air passing through the HME back down into the tubing while some CO2 goes out the vent (I have no idea how that works) but in any case, exhaled air does pass through the HME whether the vent is placed before or after the HME. I know I've covered my vent when I exhale and I don't notice any difference in pressure with the vent covered or not.

Anwyas, the best price on the HME is the generic package ones (exact same as the HDM one) on a site called Direct Home Medical where you can save $2/HME in quantity 8. PM'ed u the link.

Thanks, I will try that.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.