Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Home brew chin strap.
Home brew chin strap.

Hi All,

I am finally getting better results with my APAP machine, (after several weeks of trying a lot), and now using a commercial chin strap. This strap is a Care Fusion - Puresom - TMS13. It is not stable for use every night, (At times it comes loose during the night). Now that I can better control my Apnea I am wondering about alternatives that are MORE effective, (aka stable).

I was looking online and found a You Tube video by Dr. Popper. He has a design for a home made baseball cap chin strap that looks promising.

Q: Has anyone tried this or one similar? Does it stay on? Does it bind, rub, or come loose? Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance,

RAH

BTW, My SO made a hose rain cover for about $5 that uses thin velcro and a piece of Fleece. In a suitable pattern. :grin:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home brew chin strap.
Hi rhandel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you're getting your CPAP therapy finetuned. I have had trouble with the chinstraps, too. Either there is so much on my face or not enough. I made a makeshift chinstrap with an extra P10 headgear that I had layin' around, but for you, that might be too minimal.
Good luck on the chinstrap battle.
Continued success with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 02:29 PM)rhandel Wrote: I am finally getting better results with my APAP machine, (after several weeks of trying a lot), and now using a commercial chin strap. This strap is a Care Fusion - Puresom - TMS13. It is not stable for use every night, (At times it comes loose during the night). Now that I can better control my Apnea I am wondering about alternatives that are MORE effective, (aka stable).
I was looking online and found a You Tube video by Dr. Popper. He has a design for a home made baseball cap chin strap that looks promising.
Q: Has anyone tried this or one similar? Does it stay on? Does it bind, rub, or come loose? Anyone have a better idea?

There is a long thread here about custom made chin straps:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...traps-sigh

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried home making one and it worked sort of ok. Then tried a few hand me down different ones that didnt do any better because I couldnt keep them from slipping off at some point in the night.

The fix was the Resironics Premium chin strap. Once and adjusted it will NOT come loose nor slip off because it has a backstrap that keeps it in place.

Also it pulls UP on the chin not back like most others shutting my yap better during the night LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good results after 1 night.. -- Was: Home brew chin strap.

All,

The BIG advantage to this method is upward pressure with NO backward jaw pull.

OK. Wally World is really helpful with this.
I bought a Baseball cap ($3.50) and some Velcro (Single sided sew on, $3.50). I tried 5/8" before bed and settled on 1" for the strap. Narrow sew on Velcro is too narrow and stretches.

I just cut off the brim (as close to the cap as possible) and asked (really nicely), my SO to sew on one 2" strip to each side of the baseball cap.

Using a 20" piece of firm, double sided Velcro (Had it laying around), to keep the cap on and mouth shut.

Bottom line, Since I over tightened it a bit I woke up a little sore but AHI was better than before. Going to loosen it up and try it again. Too bad I had some noticeable (by me), mask leaks.

Thanks for all of the support and suggestions. I may even try a Ruby.

RAH

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 08:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi rhandel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you're getting your CPAP therapy finetuned. I have had trouble with the chinstraps, too. Either there is so much on my face or not enough. I made a makeshift chinstrap with an extra P10 headgear that I had layin' around, but for you, that might be too minimal.

Trish,
How did you make a chin strap from P10 headgear? When you have time, would you mind posting instructions. I assume you had to cut it.
Thanks,
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 06:16 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(02-02-2015, 08:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi rhandel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Trish,
How did you make a chin strap from P10 headgear? When you have time, would you mind posting instructions. I assume you had to cut it.
Thanks,
OpalRose
Hi OpalRose,
I posted information about in a thread titled IMAGINE! A Truly Minimalist Chinstrap?! here on the board and I had a picture taken with me wearing it. But here's what I did. I Adjusted it to my head and had enough for a hose loop for the P10's hose. I took the ends of the headgear you normally put on the mask and sewed it together, I didn't have to cut into it.. I don't know if this makes any sense to you at all so, I will try to find the link to that thread and put it in this post so you can get a better idea.
And oh by the way, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose,
Here is the link to my thread about a chinstrap I made with the P10 headgear.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...+Chinstrap
I hope this helps and gives you a better fix on what I did.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 08:22 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi OpalRose,

Thanks Trish,
Thanks for taking the time to post your photo. I would not have thought to do that with the P10 headgear. I have an extra headgear now, so I will give it a go.
I also have tried another headgear that was too big in the chin area and it seemed to slip off sometime in the night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 09:47 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 08:22 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi OpalRose,

Thanks Trish,
Thanks for taking the time to post your photo. I would not have thought to do that with the P10 headgear. I have an extra headgear now, so I will give it a go.
I also have tried another headgear that was too big in the chin area and it seemed to slip off sometime in the night.
Hi OpalRose,
You're welcome, glad to do it. I hope it works well for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 101 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,922 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 368 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,329 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.