Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Hose connector
Hose connector
Last night in the first half hour after going to bed I pulled the mask tube out of the long tube from the machine three times. I know some masks have a clip mechanism, but my Airfit P10 does not - you just push the two hoses together. In the past I drilled a hole through both tubes and inserted a small nail to keep them from coming apart, but I'm searching for a better solution. It would be nice to be able to unclip the mask from the main hose so I could get up and go to the bathroom without having to take the mask off. 

I'm thinking of a 15mm connector that I could glue into both the machine hose and the mask hose, where the connector has a release mechanism in the middle. Does anyone make such a thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose connector
JJJ, I can't imagine what advantage exists to leaving a P10 on and disconnecting at the tube. This is a mask with a simple stretch fabric headgear and simply slips on and off. My mask connection is covered with a fleece tube cover, so I rarely remove it and have never experienced stretching of the CPAP tube connect that caused it to lose grip. Members that frequently remove the tube have done things like wrap the CPAP connector with electric tape to make it grip better, or used rubber bands to give the CPAP tube more grip. My best advise is replace the CPAP tube and change your habit, and this will never happen again.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps it will help if I include a little drawing:

The problem is that there is nothing to hold the hose ends together. I am a very active sleeper, plus I am a side sleeper, and I roll over every 20-30 minutes or so. The machine hose is often wedged under the pillow, so when I roll over the mask hose just pulls out.

Last night, accompanied by numerous expletives, after the third disconnection I temporarily fixed the problem. There is now a one inch drywall screw through both hoses. Not the best solution, but at least I could go back to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a P10 mask and very seldom disconnect the mask hose from the Cpap hose, except for cleaning.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the end of either the Cpap hose or the mask hose has been damaged or stretched out. Even with that said, I can't imagine how that would happen.

How old is the Cpap hose?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about a hose management, hose hanger, or whatever you want to call it? Maybe while it suspends the hose, it keeps your inadvertent tugging from a disconnect.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 02:21 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The only think that comes to my mind is that the end of either the Cpap hose or the mask hose has been damaged or stretched out.  Even with that said, I can't imagine how that would happen.  

How old is the Cpap hose?

I have no idea how old the hose is, except that I had to replace it 2-3 years ago because at the time I was using a Resmed machine and its output connector caused the machine end of the hose to develop a leak due to the hose being squeezed 90 degrees at the machine. The mask is much newer, but I have four P10 hoses and they all just pull out of the machine hose - there is little friction. And I have three old machine hoses and one brand new one, and the mask hose pulls easily out of all of them. And over the years I've used many different kinds of masks, and never had this problem.

I really think I should blame Resmed for poor engineering of the machine end of their hose. Its outer diameter should be just a tad bit wider. I should have to wiggle it forcefully to get it into the machine hose, but instead it just slides in easily. Also, I tried sticking some thin shims into the machine end of the hose, which made the mask hose stick better, but then I had massive leaks. (With my high pressures leaks are a continual battle.) I tried wrapping tape around the end of the mask hose, but the tape just mooshes back as I try to insert it into the machine hose. 

The ultimate solution is some kind of connector where you have to press a tab to unlock it. Apparently no one makes such a thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do think it may be a good idea to replace hoses more often than every few years. This may play a huge role in it not staying connected.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 02:54 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: What about a hose management, hose hanger, or whatever you want to call it? Maybe while it suspends the hose, it keeps your inadvertent tugging from a disconnect.

I tried one of those once about a year ago during my second sleep study. It cause a pretty bad claustrophobia reaction. But I've thought about them myself over the years, except that I was afraid I'd wake up from a nightmare, where I'm on a spaceship and an octopus-like alien has inserted a long tendril through my nose and down my throat, and is sucking my guts out to feed its young. OK, that was kind of disgusting. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 03:21 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I do think it may be a good idea to replace hoses more often than every few years. This may play a huge role in it not staying connected.

It happened the same with a brand new machine hose, and with all four of my P10 hoses, some of which are only a couple months old. 

I give up. What I was looking for evidently doesn't exist. Fortunately, I have plenty of drywall screws on hand.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,554 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.