Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
RE: So far so good? SleepyHead report #2
Here's the latest & greatest report. Does more data give you any more opportunity to educate me about what's happening?

The last two nights, I woke up with a tickle in my throat and took the mask off to cough awhile. Apparently I was too tired to put it back on until something (an apnea?) woke me up and I realized something was missing.

Happy weekending! I must go take a nap.

Lamb

To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2014, 01:07 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Here's the latest & greatest report. Does more data give you any more opportunity to educate me about what's happening?

Hi Lamb,

How are you feeling, regarding daytime mental clarity, energy level, sleepiness or fatigue?

Your statistics look pretty good.

Your compliance is great and your Leak statistics are great, too. Good going.

The AHI is around 4 or 5, comprised mostly from the Central Apnea Index (CAI) which is around 3 or 4.

Your EPR setting is already only 1, which is probably a good place to keep it (unless it would be perfectly comfortable for you to lower it to zero).

In future, after achieving over a month of therapy, if the CAI is still the majority of the AHI, I would suggest you ask your doctor about trying a lower pressure (like maybe 8) for a month, to see if this lowers the AHI. If the AHI drops lower, you could try reducing a little more (perhaps to 7) to try to find the Pressure Setting which gives you the lowest AHI or RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index, which is equal to the AHI plus the RERA index, which is the average number of RERA events per hour)

A lower Pressure of 8 or 7 might increase the obstructive component of AHI slightly but may reduce the CAI component by a greater amount, resulting overall in a lower AHI or RDI.

But more important than AHI or RDI is how you feel. So, every day, remember to notice how you feel, and perhaps keep notes in a notebook or smart phone so you can track your progress.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED: Another option (to discuss with doctor) would be to change from the "CPAP" therapy mode you are presently using to the gentle "AutoSet For Her" therapy mode, with Max Pressure setting of 9 cm H2O like now, but with Min Pressure setting of 7 or 8. Because this would lower your average pressure it might lower the CAI.

Also, it looks like your Ramp "Start Pressure" setting is presently 4. If 4 feels uncomfortably low, the Start Pressure can be raised to 5 or 6.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2014, 02:31 PM)vsheline Wrote: How are you feeling, regarding daytime mental clarity, energy level, sleepiness or fatigue?

Well, I don't really feel a lot of difference. Usually when I wake up in the morning, I do feel more awake than before, but throughout the day, I feel the same as I had pre-CPAP. And on weekends, I still take naps--which prior to about 4 years ago was unheard of for me.

(11-29-2014, 02:31 PM)vsheline Wrote: In future, after achieving over a month of therapy, if the CAI is still the majority of the AHI, I would suggest you ask your doctor about trying a lower pressure (like maybe 8) for a month, to see if this lowers the AHI. If the AHI drops lower, you could try reducing a little more (perhaps to 7) to try to find the Pressure Setting which gives you the lowest AHI or RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index, which is equal to the AHI plus the RERA index, which is the average number of RERA events per hour)

A lower Pressure of 8 or 7 might increase the obstructive component of AHI slightly but may reduce the CAI component by a greater amount, resulting overall in a lower AHI or RDI.

Thanks--I'll keep that in mind. I'm guessing that because my CAs were "up there" even during my no-pressure home studies, they may have nothing to do with the pressure.

(11-29-2014, 02:31 PM)vsheline Wrote: But more important than AHI or RDI is how you feel. So, every day, remember to notice how you feel, and perhaps keep notes in a notebook or smart phone so you can track your progress.

I've made a couple of notes right in the journal that comes with SH; I figure it'd be nice to have everything pertaining to SA in one place. Not much to write home about yet. Except...until Wednesday, my pain level had decreased noticeably. (I have fibromyalgia among other health issues.) Then I must have overdone it on Wednesday and Thursday, because the pain was back with a vengeance yesterday and today. My numbers weren't so good night before last nor last night either (here's the latest report). I don't know whether the pain is causing the CAs, but it sort of makes sense that it could.

(11-29-2014, 02:31 PM)vsheline Wrote: ADDED: Another option (to discuss with doctor) would be to change from the "CPAP" therapy mode you are presently using to the gentle "AutoSet For Her" therapy mode, with Max Pressure setting of 9 cm H2O like now, but with Min Pressure setting of 7 or 8. Because this would lower your average pressure it might lower the CAI.

(11-29-2014, 02:31 PM)vsheline Wrote: Also, it looks like your Ramp "Start Pressure" setting is presently 4. If 4 feels uncomfortably low, the Start Pressure can be raised to 5 or 6.

I'm not sure why I even have it ramping; nine is fine at all times. Thinking-about

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
(11-15-2014, 06:51 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: (By the way, I put my mask on when I first go to bed and then I read awhile--I don't really get 10 hours of sleep a night!)

I do the same thing - ha! and I thought I was the only one wearing the mask before actually going to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 180 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 173 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.