Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How do I find old machine?
How do I find old machine?
Hello,
After reading some messages, I find I know little to nothing about CPAP. I still have my original machine from 2006. It is a RemStar C-Flex Plus. At least that is what it says on the machine. I have no idea what my setting is and I have a humidifier. I had no idea that newer machines had software. I have several questions.

1. How long do these machines last? I've used mine every day/night since I received it.

2. I want to get a new one before this machine goes out. The DME company says I need to get my prescription from my doctor. The neurologist that ordered the sleep study says that was 10 years ago and they no longer have the records, so I need to make a new patient appointment with them and get another sleep study done. Does that sound right?

3. Why can't I just get another machine? Have the machines and technology changed that much?

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I find old machine?
Your machine is well past-due for replacement. It is a good idea to replace it as soon as possible. Your best options for data and replacement are the Philips Respironics System One 60 series, or Dreamstation, or Resmed S9 or Airsense 10. The best is the auto cpap in these models.

You can get a prescription from any doctor. Your primary physician can easily provide you with a prescription that is fully valid based on your use of CPAP since 2006. Sometimes the DME will ask for a copy of your sleep study in order to facilitate insurance coverage. Since you do not have a copy, just tell them where you had your sleep study and approximately what year and month. If the records can be pulled out of archive, let them do it.

You can get another machine. Get a prescription, from your doctor. There are online alternatives to obtain a prescription by answering a questionnaire. Insurance coverage and working through your doctor may the the lowest cost option depending on your insurance plan and deductible. If you have copay and deductibles, then the option below will be less expensive.

You can buy a new machine from Amazon, and won't be asked for a prescription, but you will not likely be reimbursed by insurance. Current price for a DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 with heated hose and humidifier is $394.88 to $405.00. You will need to search since commercial links are not allowed here. This is the newest model auto CPAP with top of the line features, and is brand new. Although it is an auto-CPAP, we can help you to get it setup to work for you. This is fully data capable and will work with the free #SleepyHead program. Your DME will charge $1600 -$2000 for this same machine. If you buy through this channel, ask the seller if they can service the warranty in the event the unit needs service within the warranty period.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Skeeter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting a new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the machines have changed a lot. They will do a lot more to help you and will provide you and your doctor lots of information.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you decide to go out of pocket, try Supplier #2. They sell used and open box xPAPs at good prices. You will still need a prescription though.

My GP does all my CPAP scripts now. She and I discussed it and she thought it was a good idea. The script will need to say "(type of machine) at X pressure (or range) with mask and supplies". If you are having to go through a local supplier due to insurance and you want a particular type of machine--such as an autoPAP--then the doc will need to note that as the type of machine and to also note "dispense as written".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I love reading good advice. It sure is better than learning the hard way. Thanks PaulaO2

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,310 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 510 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,336 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 358 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 359 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 501 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  [CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling. Speusippus 1 482 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.