Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How is EPR on CPAP different to BiPAP
How is EPR on CPAP different to BiPAP
I have been using a ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 CPAP device with Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR) set to be on full time at a level of 3 cm. This feature reduces the delivered mask pressure during exhalation. For example, if the current pressure is at 10 cm, that would be for inhale while the pressure would be 7 cm for exhale.

My 2-week trial of a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO BiPAP device started last night and I have been reading up on that technology. That machine could be configured with an Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure (EPAP) setting of 7 cm and a Pressure Support (PS) setting of 3 cm.  It seems that would be equivalent to the CPAP setting described above. 

Would those two setups deliver an equivalent experience for the user at that moment?

I see that this BiPAP machine has lots of other controls and features so over the course of a night, the BiPAP may provide a better treatment and I have 2 weeks to see if it works for me. Here is the thread on that trial if you are interested. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...iPAP-trial
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How is EPR on CPAP different to BiPAP
With same or similar settings you won't see any difference in the mask pressure chart between the Autoset and Vauto. As you note, the range of PS, and settings to affect trigger and cycle sensitivity and inspiratory pressure minimum and maximum time are adjustable only on the Vauto. We have use the Resmed Autoset machines as bilevel devices for years to help treat flow limits in much the same way as we use the more expensive and harder to get Vauto. In my opinion, there is no other CPAP in the same class as the Autoset, and the Vauto just extends those capabilities further.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,179 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings ttodd 4 675 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  CPAP vs Bipap Jose Castro 6 847 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.