Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How is the software used?
Ohmy 
How is the software used?
I see that a lot of people have different names of software listed under their equipment description, but I can't figure out how it's used.

Do you install it on your computer and then somehow interface the machine to the computer in order to perhaps print out a report of what's been happening?

Thanks,

Dee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How is the software used?
most folk use either Resscan or SleepyHead
ResScan for Resmed machines and SH for Resmed S9 and PRS1 machines

you can download either from here but make sure to get data capable machine otherwise the software of no use

read here first: Archangle:Machine Choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/dont-pa...-upcharge/
Post Reply Post Reply
You've got it almost exactly correct. The data is recorded on a SD card. You take the card out of the CPAP machine and pop it into your computer. The CPAP machines have pressure sensors and flow rate meters. You can see every breath you take on the flow rate graph, and every time the graph flattens out for 10 seconds or more it means you've stopped breathing and the machine scores an apnea. It also measures your leak rate and stuff like that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 10:31 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You've got it almost exactly correct. The data is recorded on a SD card. You take the card out of the CPAP machine and pop it into your computer. The CPAP machines have pressure sensors and flow rate meters. You can see every breath you take on the flow rate graph, and every time the graph flattens out for 10 seconds or more it means you've stopped breathing and the machine scores an apnea. It also measures your leak rate and stuff like that.

Of course for extra cost you can connect an S9 through a USB cable.
I toyed with that idea but since my computer isn't in the same room as my CPAP I decided it's easier moving the SD card around rather than stringing cable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 10:31 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You've got it almost exactly correct. The data is recorded on a SD card. You take the card out of the CPAP machine and pop it into your computer. The CPAP machines have pressure sensors and flow rate meters. You can see every breath you take on the flow rate graph, and every time the graph flattens out for 10 seconds or more it means you've stopped breathing and the machine scores an apnea. It also measures your leak rate and stuff like that.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll be sure to request a data capable machine.

Dee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2013, 08:06 PM)DeeMax45 Wrote: Thanks so much for the info. I'll be sure to request a data capable machine.

Dee

If your situation is anything like mine you'll have a respiratory therapist who assumes all patients are total idiots so you may have to assert yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2013, 09:49 PM)Ugly Wrote:
(02-21-2013, 08:06 PM)DeeMax45 Wrote: Thanks so much for the info. I'll be sure to request a data capable machine.

Dee

If your situation is anything like mine you'll have a respiratory therapist who assumes all patients are total idiots so you may have to assert yourself.

Believe me I've never had a problem asserting myself....especially when it comes to my health care. Wink

I gotta say though that I've been doing tons of research before going for my titration study on Tuesday trying to get prepared so that I can make an informed decision as to which machine brands/specs are going to be best for me. And it seems that the more I read the more confused I get.Unsure

Dee

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2013, 09:17 AM)DeeMax45 Wrote:
(02-21-2013, 09:49 PM)Ugly Wrote: If your situation is anything like mine you'll have a respiratory therapist who assumes all patients are total idiots so you may have to assert yourself.

Believe me I've never had a problem asserting myself....especially when it comes to my health care. Wink

I gotta say though that I've been doing tons of research before going for my titration study on Tuesday trying to get prepared so that I can make an informed decision as to which machine brands/specs are going to be best for me. And it seems that the more I read the more confused I get.

That's good news. Well since I haven't heard anything positive from my former usual supplier, VitalAire I made contact with another company, ProResp. Today I booked the paratransit bus for Friday of next week so everything's ready to go. They said they'd help me out.
I for one am tired of being the doormat and now I take matters into my own hands. Hammer
Post Reply Post Reply
DeeMax, for now, there's just a few things to look for.

1 - you want a copy of the sleep report. If they tell you that you won't understand it, say you want it anyway. If they say it is hundreds of pages of data, say you want the summary they sent the doc. If they still balk, say this simple word: HIPPA (unless you are not from the US then I'm not sure what law applies).

2 - you want a data capable machine. Not just compliance data, you want AHI and flow rate, flow limitation, the works. You don't have to get an autoPAP, although it is convenient.

3 - know the brands they are going to mention. Personally, I'd steer away from Icon. They look nice but the software is not free though it should kinda sorta work with SleepyHead (has anyone confirmed this?). Phillips-Respironics and ResMed are the two most popular. Avoid any PR with the word "Plus" in the name and any ResMed with "Escape" in the name. Those machines are compliance only (or limited).

4 - You want a supplier that has a good mask policy. Many places allow you to try masks for anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days. If they say they don't have such a policy, thank them for their time and leave.

Once you have your machine and all that, then you can learn from there.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2013, 06:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: DeeMax, for now, there's just a few things to look for.

1 - you want a copy of the sleep report. If they tell you that you won't understand it, say you want it anyway. If they say it is hundreds of pages of data, say you want the summary they sent the doc. If they still balk, say this simple word: HIPPA (unless you are not from the US then I'm not sure what law applies).

2 - you want a data capable machine. Not just compliance data, you want AHI and flow rate, flow limitation, the works. You don't have to get an autoPAP, although it is convenient.

3 - know the brands they are going to mention. Personally, I'd steer away from Icon. They look nice but the software is not free though it should kinda sorta work with SleepyHead (has anyone confirmed this?). Phillips-Respironics and ResMed are the two most popular. Avoid any PR with the word "Plus" in the name and any ResMed with "Escape" in the name. Those machines are compliance only (or limited).

4 - You want a supplier that has a good mask policy. Many places allow you to try masks for anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days. If they say they don't have such a policy, thank them for their time and leave.

Once you have your machine and all that, then you can learn from there.

Thanks for all of the good info Paula. I've added it all to my list to take with me when I go to the follow-up visit with the doctor.

Dee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,123 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 381 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 340 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 585 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,076 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 641 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire
  AirSense 11 water / humidity / software incident rpierce 5 1,194 07-31-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.