Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How long before you found a suitable mask?
How long before you found a suitable mask?
just wondering if the mask which came with my Resmed is the ideal one for me or not.Only used it twice so far and it does fit as such,but not having tried anything else to compare it against I am thinking there might be something more comfortable out there.I have my first appointment with the clinic early next month (UK) so will ask if they have anything I could try.Being the NHS I think they will more as like have one type of mask in various sizes.Is it really a case of trial and error in most cases,and at the expense of the user?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long before you found a suitable mask?
It's possible you might be more comfortable with nasal therapy from a very lightweight minimal interface like the Resmed Airfit P10 pillows. The only way to know is try it. Starting out with a full face mask means you don't find out if nasal therapy works for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2017, 10:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's possible you might be more comfortable with nasal therapy from a very lightweight minimal interface like the Resmed Airfit P10 pillows.  The only way to know is try it.  Starting out with a full face mask means you don't find out if nasal therapy works for you.

Cheers,whilst I had no option with what came with the machine as it was one which had little use,I had tried the nasal one briefly when I went back to the respiritory  unit to discuss my results.At the time I said this feels uncomfortable having to breathe in and out through the nose all the time,which is when she said well if you are a more a mouth breather then ask them for the full mask.I might see if I can wing it and get one of each,although I wont hold my breath on that one  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
We see people struggle to use a nasal mask that is clearly not going to work. Chin straps, taping and other solutions to make them work don't seem worthwhile to me given the idea of this therapy is to resolve sleep disturbance. On the other hand, I have never used a full-face, and never missed it. If you are comfortable and it's working, then don't think twice about it. If you feel claustrophobic or uncomfortable with the mouth an nose covered, then nasal might be a solution. So much of CPAP therapy is individual choice and response. I learned a long time ago that just because I like something, or it works for me, that has no predictive value for others.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you read the mask primer. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I probably used 4 or 5 full face masks before I found one that didn't irritate the bridge of my nose or leak into my eyes. The best for me have been the Resmed Quatro FX and the Resmed airfit F20. Your experience may be completely different. Take a look at the equipment review forum. You will find mask reviews there.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the Simplus and several other FFMs, and found that it was the easiest to get sealed and keep sealed -- for me.  If it is working for you, rest assured that you have a well regarded mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheers for the replies,and I appreciate it is a personal preference,just like a lot of things in life really.A shame that there are no places you can go test these things out,similar to a disabilty shop,perhaps there is in some countreis but not here asfik.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the 3 plus years that I have been on cpap I have probably gone through 10 different masks. Some of them were good but I like to try new products when they come out. I am currently using an airtouch F20 (memory foam), which has been the best so far.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a definite FFM person. I have to allow mouth breathing, even if it's not always, I know that it's done occasionally. Best results are with my current mask, the F20 AirFit in small. Second is swapping in the AirTouch cushion due to a slight leak I couldn't adjust out. Note that I'm on an ASV machine and I'm apnea and COPD which may classify me as having overlap.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been through 4 and so far ffl f20 I like the best. It all depends on you, what fits you the best and the most comfortable. The are vendors that hat a return policy within 30 for a different one. Check list of suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 190 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 189 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 284 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Long story short chronic 5 430 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 596 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 255 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 661 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.