Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How long do Nuance Pro nasal pillow cushion masks last?
How long do Nuance Pro nasal pillow cushion masks last?
Hi.

I'm a new CPAP user. I was wondering how long the Nuance Pro nasal pillow cushions typically last. The equipment provider says they last 2 weeks. I suspect in reality they are good for longer than that. Please share how long they last for you and how you know when they need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long do Nuance Pro nasal pillow cushion masks last?
Hi LordVader,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think it is recommended to change the pillows, (cushions," every two weeks, but I could be wrong on that so hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
according to replacement schedule, 2 nasal pillows (pair) per 1 month
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc..._Hints.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2014, 11:21 PM)LordVader Wrote: I'm a new CPAP user. I was wondering how long the Nuance Pro nasal pillow cushions typically last. The equipment provider says they last 2 weeks. I suspect in reality they are good for longer than that.

My comments are about nasal pillows in general, not necessarily the Nuance. Two weeks is the standard set by Medicare, so insurance companies in the US tend to follow that replacement schedule.

I'm not sure if that's one of those standards that the manufacturers managed to justify based on hygiene, but that's my best guess.

People in other countries are surprised that we in the US replace them that often.

The Opus 360 nasal pillows I use last much much longer than that.

If you think yours are wearing out, but aren't sure, try a new one and see if it's any different. I usually have two in use that I rotate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the same pillows for 3 months or more. My current Nuance pillows are, what, 2 months now? I'll have to check the dates.

My DME has never offered to replace the pillows according to schedule and I don't see the reason why. They're not that fragile. And the Nuance, since they sit on the exterior of the nostril and go inside so little, I see them lasting much longer.

Heck, I had a set of Breeze pillows I had to make last for over 6 months. I just kept cleaning them well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine are going on two months now for the nuance pro. They just recently started bothering me and I was unaware there were supposed to be changed that often. I wonder if this is why they are bothering me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2014, 07:54 PM)Galactus Wrote: Mine are going on two months now for the nuance pro. They just recently started bothering me and I was unaware there were supposed to be changed that often. I wonder if this is why they are bothering me.

If you have a new one, try it but keep the old one just in case.

I've gone weeks or even months with no soreness, then found I had to use a salve (Lansinoh HPA Lanolin) for a few nights.

One mistake I was making was washing the pillows in water that was way too hot, wearing them out too fast. If it's too hot for your hands, it's too hot for your gear.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the responses. I did not know that hot water was bad to use. There is a lot to learn about all of this equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My assumption is hot water at that temp could soften it and reshape it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yup. Super hot water is likely breaking down the silicone making it lose elasticity.

Hot soapy water is what you need to clean and disinfect. It's just that you don't want it scalding hot.

I figure if it's too hot for me to put my hand in it, it's too hot.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,860 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.