Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How often do you replace silicone mask cushion?
Grin 
How often do you replace silicone mask cushion?
I've been using an N20 for over a month now, I had very little leakage when I first started using it but now I'm getting some leakage... so maybe caused by it wearing down? I have a spare cushion so I'll try a new cushion tonight.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often do you replace silicone mask cushion?
I'm using an AirFit F20 FFM. I try to get 3-4 months use out of it, before I get out a new one. 

Some might think of me as cheap. I prefer the term economically minded.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
My F20 longevity is measured in months for the AirFit silicone. Memory foam AirTouch won't be wearing out anytime soon sitting on the shelf. When the AirFit has a problem in contributing to leaks, it's time to swap cushions. My N/P30i? Same but since it's not used much, I'm not sure how long they'll last.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems to be very personal and depends a lot on what mask you're using... I'll use the new cushion tonight to compare leakage.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Feeling the month old vs new cushion, there is a big difference  Confused  I sometimes use moisturizer (no petroleum products) before bed... maybe the silicone doesn't like that?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
With my old Quattro FX cushion I would go a year or so. I don‘t use a humidifier so I’d wash it every couple of weeks.

I’m a little over 2 months on my F20 cushion. I’ll probably change it out every 3-4 months. I wash it weekly.

I store my mask in one of those blue Resmed cloth bags during the day. I started doing this a number of years ago to cut down on UV rays yellowing the cushion. Not sure if it adds any longevity.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I began using my own N20 25 months ago.  If yours is not split anywhere, still has its shape and returns to it upon deformation manually, and has no noticeable discolouration, I would say there's nothing wrong with it.  Instead, look to the way your headgear straps are doing what they are meant to do.  First, I would clean it under warm-to-hot water and dish detergent, rinse a couple of times thoroughly, squeeze it dry using a clean dish towel, and let it air dry on a countertop.  It might shrink back to its original/close-to-original length.

But do fiddle with the fit.

Another possibility is that, as you've grown accustomed to the therapy, and have begun to accrue some benefits, you are now sleeping somewhat differently.  Maybe you are displacing the mask with the way you lay your head.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,070 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.