[Equipment] How often do you wash your mask?
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: How often do you wash your mask?
If you are paying out of pocket, then yes, by all means, make them last as long as you can. Regular cleaning is the best way to do that. It lets you see damage ahead of time, giving you a chance to order a new one or at least parts. By keeping the oil from your skin off the mask, it will allow the silicone to have its full life.

Speaking of parts, look at the masks that fit you and see which one has parts you can buy vs having to buy the entire mask again.

My first hose lasted close to two years I think. Probably longer. But then I got sick as a dog for a long time, going through all sorts of crap to figure out what was wrong. Finally figured out it was crap in the hose. They used to last longer, be tougher, but they were also not see-through. If your hose is clear and you can see how truly clean it is or is not, go for it. That's one thing I like about the newer hoses (well, except for the ClimateLine). However, they are cheaply, horribly made. I don't think I could get one to last longer than 6 months. But I'm rather rough on them. I wake up most mornings and have to untangle them from the bed post and my pillow.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-09-2013 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DOOM_NX Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Weinmann JOYCE SilkGel
Humidifier: ResMed H5i + ClimateLine (not using year-round)
CPAP Pressure: 5–16 cmH2O
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: 12/2011: Mild SAS (AHI 14.5) - 10/2013: Severe SAS (AHI 78.7) - Using AutoCPAP: AHI 1.4

Sex: Male

Thank you all for your invaluable information.

Ultra Mirage II seems like a very sturdy mask. I could only see the need to replace the silicone cushion when it degrades, tears or stops sealing. I'm gonna take good care of it from now on Smile

Regarding the tube, yes, it's the clear SlimLine one. As far as I can see, it's pretty clean at the moment. I think the constant supply of dry air doesn't help any mold grow.

It's amazing how my mother's AHI is always below 2.0 when 2 years ago she had an AHI of 61.2. She certainly gained her life back! Big Grin
06-10-2013 11:00 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(06-09-2013 10:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  My first hose lasted close to two years I think. Probably longer. But then I got sick as a dog for a long time, going through all sorts of crap to figure out what was wrong. Finally figured out it was crap in the hose. They used to last longer, be tougher, but they were also not see-through. If your hose is clear and you can see how truly clean it is or is not, go for it. That's one thing I like about the newer hoses (well, except for the ClimateLine). However, they are cheaply, horribly made. I don't think I could get one to last longer than 6 months. But I'm rather rough on them. I wake up most mornings and have to untangle them from the bed post and my pillow.

I just bought 4 hoses for under $20 total delivered from an eBay seller. They're in Respironics labeled packaging. (or good counterfeits.) Unheated hoses, of course.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
06-12-2013 09:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Itsadryheat Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro ffm
Humidifier: H1
CPAP Pressure: 6-10.5
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I am one year into this adventure. I am still using my original equipment. I use mask liners because is more comfortable for me. I wash my quattro ffm daily in unscented soap. Once a week I handwash my headgear (without undoing the velcro). I disinfect the mask, hose, and humidifier weekly in Control III. Filters are changed monthly.

I have a spare set of equipment. Just haven't broken anything out yet because the seal seems good and leak rate is acceptable. My headgear is still surprisingly good also. I have insurance, but have high deductible so replacements are essentially out of pocket.

I live in AZ so moldy hoses are probably rarer here.
I learned my routine from reading these message boards. Thanks to everyone, I am still in good shape!
06-12-2013 09:55 PM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Wash it with Baby Shampoo and warm water every week.
Wipe it with an alcohol and fragrant Baby Wipe every night.

Coffee
06-13-2013 10:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How often you wash the headgear? zonk 6 4,244 11-13-2012 06:32 PM
Last Post: lonnieb