Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How often do you wash your mask?
How often do you wash your mask?
Greetings Apnea Board!

I have to say I'm amazed by the amount of info you offer! And I'd like to say a big Thanks for providing me with ResScan and clinical manuals! I'm so excited and I'm not even the one receiving treatment. The info on the left is actually my mother's. Yes, I'm trying to be the caring child who noticed her apneas, pushed so we did a PSG and now, 1.5 years later, monitoring her progress. I'm kinda jealous, cause I scored an AHI of 14.5 (hers was around 62) and my sleep hasn't really improved :/

Anyway, I'd like to ask you the question of the thread subject. I read in the manual that you are supposed to disassemble and wash your mask after each use. My mother has only washed it twice in this 1.5y period. Is it really important that she washes it every day?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often do you wash your mask?
Hi DOOM_NX,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wash my mask, hose and humidifier chamber once a week in warm, soapy water. I use a mild soap with no antibacterial agents because I have read that they break down the silicon in the mask.
Best of luck and your mother is fortunate to have you to care for her.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The parts that come in contact with the air stream should be cleaned regularly to avoid bacteria growth. I wash my stuff (water chamber, hose, and mask) about once a week. Usually more often than that. Use hot soapy water. I like to use anti-bacterial hand soap that has no skin-softening additives.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2013, 04:06 PM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Is it really important that she washes it every day?

Thanks in advance!
Yassou ... Coffee
Its important for me to wash the cushion every day to get better seal
Washing after each use helps remove facial oil and feel nicer on the skin
Post Reply Post Reply
DOOM_NX, everyone has different opinions on washing and it's really a personal choice but I think twice in 1.5 years is way too long. I use a full face mask and wash everything twice a week but use mask liners to get rid of the oily skin. I would suggest for your mum at least once a week throughly and that includes the hose and humifier chamber if she has one. How often does she change the water in the humidifier if she uses one? That is als a personal choice but I fully change mine twice a week and top it up each other night. You seem like a caring son.
Post Reply Post Reply
I try to hit the hose and mask every week. I swab down my nose and the area around it with Witch Hazel every night before going to bed to remove excess oils and sweat accumulated through the day.

Water chamber gets emptied and rinsed daily -left to air dry. I usually wash it well with soap and hot water every couple of days. Old humidifier chamber (S8 H3i & H4i) just got swished and dumped daily. Not able to open it.

Filters replaced at least monthly - try for every two weeks.

OMyMyOHellYes

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2013, 05:35 PM)Tez62 Wrote: DOOM_NX, everyone has different opinions on washing and it's really a personal choice but I think twice in 1.5 years is way too long. I use a full face mask and wash everything twice a week but use mask liners to get rid of the oily skin. I would suggest for your mum at least once a week throughly and that includes the hose and humifier chamber if she has one. How often does she change the water in the humidifier if she uses one? That is als a personal choice but I fully change mine twice a week and top it up each other night. You seem like a caring son.

Well maybe I'm wrong about her cleaning schedule. But I have only seen her clean the mask twice. I'm gonna ask her when she wakes up, but I doubt she washes it more often than 3-4 times a year :/
I think she doesn't take it apart either, in order not to break it or something. What's really strange is that the technician only told us to shake the air filter every week. He didn't mention any cleaning regime for the mask and tube. And the air filter; the manual says it should be replaced every six months, but he doesn't seem eager to sell us a replacement... and he calls us twice a year to catch up...

Anyway, I will teach her tomorrow the right steps on cleaning Smile

There is no humidifier whatsoever.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are different types of filters for different types of machines, I live in Australia and we have to pay for most things ourselves and the cost of our equipment is double the price in the US so it has to last longer, I have had the same filter for two years now and it is still OK, I wash it each week as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the one that came with the machine is washable. It says so in the manual. But I guess it's not that important?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your mother's DME ought to be removed from business.

The air filter needs to be cleaned and/or replaced every month. Without the cleaning or changing, the machine is working harder and harder to suck air in. That is cutting down the lifetime of the machine significantly.

The mask needs to be cleaned as often as she changes the sheets, if not more often. All that skin oil, skin cells, snot, bacteria, mold, and other assorted crap, is sitting there in that hose and mask, just waiting for an opportunity to explode. Many of us just fill up the bathroom sink with warm water and a mild soap and let the things soak for a while. Scrub a little at any part that touches the skin, rinse many times and well, then let air dry. Reassemble long before bedtime (so you are alert enough to do it). Some of us clean the mask daily, some weekly, some monthly. It's a personal choice based on germ phobia and germ ignorance continuum.

The hose should be replaced every 6 months. The mask should be replaced every 3 months.

They don't make these things like they used to. My first masks were tough and could take a lot of abuse. Not the ones they are making now. They are also designed to be easily taken apart and put back together by the user. Many come apart so easily, even I can do it. The DME should have showed her how to do this.

What I do is this:
Using mask and hose gear ONE. Get new gear TWO in June. Set old ONE aside after cleaning well and letting air dry. Put in ziploc bag and store. Use gear TWO. In December, get new gear THREE. Toss ONE gear, put gear TWO in bag, use gear THREE. And so forth. Some parts I will keep if they look like in good shape.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Wash frequency Cpap hose cover and headgear Ghandi 9 1,229 04-13-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H
  Pre-bed face wash - advice Davidacarrick 10 2,543 12-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: SorryIamNormal
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.