Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How often do you wash your mask?
RE: How often do you wash your mask?
I think pretty important to replace - frequency depends on your location and dust level. My location is very dusty and I have bouts with seasonal allergies so that's part of the reason I try to swap out monthly...

The S9 uses disposable filters - not supposed to wash them. They are available at almost any on-line CPAP supplier for the S9. They are pretty cheap - I think I paid $12 for a six pack. If you changed it even every two months, that's a buck a month.

The S9 can even be set to remind you of the schedule to replace filters, mask cushions/seals, water chamber, etc.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've seen, DME's make their money on the machine. They are reimbursed very little for the replacement masks, hoses, and filters. Maybe this DME figures it's not in his best interest to supply them.

I agree, he oughta be thrown out of business.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash the mask cushion every morning with hot water and dish detergent, shake dry then wipe with a mask wipe. Wipe the inside of the mask with the same mask wipe then twist that same wipe up and blow it back and forth through the hose a couple times, dump and wipe the inside of the humidifier chamber then hook it all back up and hit "mask fit" and let it blow for a little bit. Shut off mask fit and I'm done - it will continue to blow on "cool down" for a while and that dries it out pretty decent.

I give everything a good washing (take the mask apart etc.) once a week, on Sundays and that's when I check the filter and replace if it looks discolored. I usually get a couple weeks out of them.

I'll spare everyone my rant on brick and mortar DMEs. I think I've made my feelings about them known - suffice it to say I agree with Paula and Sleepster regarding the one mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed FAQ,s http://www.resmed.com/au/service_and_sup...c=patients

Check prices and see how does it compare to your local prices
Suppliers #2 and # 10 ship ResMed outside US and popular among Aussies CPAPers
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again!

I did it. I showed her how easy it is to take apart the Ultra Mirage II and then I washed it for her. I was absolutely right when I said she has only washed it twice since the date of purchase. She admited it today. The only hard part was the Slimline tube. How do you gents clean the inside surface? Do you use a flexible brush or something?

PaulaO2, CPAP machines are so not popular over here. I'm not surprised by the lack of expertise of the few small businesses that exist.

Anyway, this one caught my attention:
" The hose should be replaced every 6 months. The mask should be replaced every 3 months."

Are you sure about that? ResMed Ultra Mirage II isn't that cheap. It costs around $200 over here. And I'm sure the insurance company doesn't cover such frequent changes...

@zonk: Thank you for the e-shop links!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Doom_NX

As soon as I post this I know some will take me to task for not cleaning my mask more often, but so be it.

I replace my hose about once every two years.
About once every month I take my mask, hose, strap and humidifier apart and wash in mild, warm to hot, soapy water. The hose I fill with soapy water and run it back and forth through the hose. Then I run warm/hot water through the hose to rinse it four times. I have two filters in my machine. One is black which is foam and wash that in the mild soapy water. The other filter is white and I replace it about once every other month.
I have been using this routine for over six years with no bad effects. Works for me. Which is the key. You have to find what works for you.
If you get bad smells in your mask at night, you probably need to wash it more ofter. I always check my humidifier for mold also.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Lee.

I guess if it was nasal pillows, then my mother would surely get bad smells and wash it more often. Regarding mold in the tube, I don't think it can grow without a humidifier.

I just checked the prices on 1800CPAP. S9 AutoSet without humidifier + Ultra Mirage II + Shipping to Greece = $991.98
We paid $2,511.42 or €1,900. Including insurance funding. Just wow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2013, 08:34 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: The only hard part was the Slimline tube. How do you gents clean the inside surface? Do you use a flexible brush or something?

Swishing hot soapy water through it is the recommended procedure, but I do use a brush.

Quote:Anyway, this one caught my attention:
" The hose should be replaced every 6 months. The mask should be replaced every 3 months."

That's the Medicare standard so most US insurance companies follow it. People from other countries are often surprised by this and most people consider it to be overkill.

I use mine until they show obvious signs of wear. Hoses and masks can last a lot longer than those recommendations, but it is important to change the filter on some kind of regular schedule.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2013, 11:02 AM)Sleepster Wrote: That's the Medicare standard so most US insurance companies follow it. People from other countries are often surprised by this and most people consider it to be overkill.

I use mine until they show obvious signs of wear. Hoses and masks can last a lot longer than those recommendations, but it is important to change the filter on some kind of regular schedule.

Thank you, Sleepster. That's what I thought. I'm ordering new filters asap. But the mask and tube are in great condition. I'm just gonna clean them more often until they show signs of wear or stop being comfortable...

And I'm not buying anything from Greece anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2013, 08:39 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The air filter needs to be cleaned and/or replaced every month. Without the cleaning or changing, the machine is working harder and harder to suck air in. That is cutting down the lifetime of the machine significantly.

ResMed says replace the filter every 6 months or more often if necessary.

Get at least one spare mask, hose, and water tank. That's a good idea anyway.

I wash my plastic mask parts in the dishwasher about once a week. Then I let the clean mask dry for a week while I use the other mask. I hook the hose onto the kitchen faucet and run hot water through it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Wash frequency Cpap hose cover and headgear Ghandi 9 1,228 04-13-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H
  Pre-bed face wash - advice Davidacarrick 10 2,543 12-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: SorryIamNormal
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.