Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How often do you wash your mask?
RE: How often do you wash your mask?
If you are paying out of pocket, then yes, by all means, make them last as long as you can. Regular cleaning is the best way to do that. It lets you see damage ahead of time, giving you a chance to order a new one or at least parts. By keeping the oil from your skin off the mask, it will allow the silicone to have its full life.

Speaking of parts, look at the masks that fit you and see which one has parts you can buy vs having to buy the entire mask again.

My first hose lasted close to two years I think. Probably longer. But then I got sick as a dog for a long time, going through all sorts of crap to figure out what was wrong. Finally figured out it was crap in the hose. They used to last longer, be tougher, but they were also not see-through. If your hose is clear and you can see how truly clean it is or is not, go for it. That's one thing I like about the newer hoses (well, except for the ClimateLine). However, they are cheaply, horribly made. I don't think I could get one to last longer than 6 months. But I'm rather rough on them. I wake up most mornings and have to untangle them from the bed post and my pillow.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your invaluable information.

Ultra Mirage II seems like a very sturdy mask. I could only see the need to replace the silicone cushion when it degrades, tears or stops sealing. I'm gonna take good care of it from now on Smile

Regarding the tube, yes, it's the clear SlimLine one. As far as I can see, it's pretty clean at the moment. I think the constant supply of dry air doesn't help any mold grow.

It's amazing how my mother's AHI is always below 2.0 when 2 years ago she had an AHI of 61.2. She certainly gained her life back! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2013, 10:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My first hose lasted close to two years I think. Probably longer. But then I got sick as a dog for a long time, going through all sorts of crap to figure out what was wrong. Finally figured out it was crap in the hose. They used to last longer, be tougher, but they were also not see-through. If your hose is clear and you can see how truly clean it is or is not, go for it. That's one thing I like about the newer hoses (well, except for the ClimateLine). However, they are cheaply, horribly made. I don't think I could get one to last longer than 6 months. But I'm rather rough on them. I wake up most mornings and have to untangle them from the bed post and my pillow.

I just bought 4 hoses for under $20 total delivered from an eBay seller. They're in Respironics labeled packaging. (or good counterfeits.) Unheated hoses, of course.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am one year into this adventure. I am still using my original equipment. I use mask liners because is more comfortable for me. I wash my quattro ffm daily in unscented soap. Once a week I handwash my headgear (without undoing the velcro). I disinfect the mask, hose, and humidifier weekly in Control III. Filters are changed monthly.

I have a spare set of equipment. Just haven't broken anything out yet because the seal seems good and leak rate is acceptable. My headgear is still surprisingly good also. I have insurance, but have high deductible so replacements are essentially out of pocket.

I live in AZ so moldy hoses are probably rarer here.
I learned my routine from reading these message boards. Thanks to everyone, I am still in good shape!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash it with Baby Shampoo and warm water every week.
Wipe it with an alcohol and fragrant Baby Wipe every night.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,635 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,315 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,874 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Wash frequency Cpap hose cover and headgear Ghandi 9 1,252 04-13-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H
  Pre-bed face wash - advice Davidacarrick 10 2,597 12-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: SorryIamNormal
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,111 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,449 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.