Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How often to you fill water? Airsense 10
How often to you fill water? Airsense 10
My humidifier water level seems to last a long time. I have only been using the device about 2 weeks, and quite a few of those days was only a few hours but there have been 7-8hour days also. I have only topped off the water once and at that time it was only 1/2 empty and its now almost 1/2 empty again, so I've used very roughly 1 tank. I'm curious how often an average "fill" lasts others. 

also there was 1 time when I got up and set the mask on the floor next to the machine and it didnt auto turn off, when I went back 5 min later the hose was very wet inside and a small puddle in the mask. Is that normal?
My humidity level is set at 4
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often to you fill water? Airsense 10
Hi Fred

I think this varies for everyone, depending on duration of sleep and room environment, mask used, mouth leaks, Humidity setting, and other factors.

My own situation in Oz is room temps between 24 - 28 Celsius at the moment coming into summer.
Humidity is low in my bedroom around 40-45% at the moment, made worse by the need for Air Conditioner during the evening. Will wait for Feb to see what happens when we get to 40C for a few weeks at a time.

I fill 300 mls each night. In the last 6 weeks I am using between 18 to 36 mls / hour average 27 mls / hour with ClimateControl M5 and hose set to 26C.
Full face mask, very little mouth leaks now, most NB no more dry mouth! 

Wonder what your own situation is room Temp and Humidity?

It will be interesting to see what others experience, esp in the tropics or dry arid desert regions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to suggest changing your humidity settings to Manual. Something is not right. Your profile indicates you're in New England, so it is cold now and your house will be heated, lowering relative humidity. I would expect you to use nearly half a container in a night. You need to empty and refresh the water at least every two or three nights. Even if you use distilled, the air passing across the water will carry airborne bacteria or spores that are not pathogenic, but can colonize the humidifier tank. Dump it out, clean and wipe dry once in a while.

Your profile also shows you are on default settings of 4-20. Please consider downloading the free OSCAR program and posting some charts. The forum will gladly advise you on optimizing your therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this normal? No. Welcome to the bizarre land of Apnea where nothing is normal. As indicated, your supposed living region should make you use up more water in the humidifier tub that that. That amount was less than I used in my ASV when therapy was doing well in the winter months for my settings. I used Manual Mode and between 4-8 humidity and heated hose at 75-86 degree F, variances due to season or individual night's usage. Your mask supposedly shouldn't be gathering moisture as you describe, and seemingly is contrary to the perceived not having much moisture demands out of the humidifier.

So you may want to change humidifier and heated hose settings as applicable, and maybe rely on the power button instead of SmartStart as it may not always be smart enough to turn on or off the PAP.

So sorry, but you not only have entered into the bizarre land of Apnea where nothing is normal, there's also nothing as reasonable standard settings applicable to all. You get to be abnormally unique and are labeled a strongly biased individual. Welcome (again) to the club. See, we want you to be here to share our non-normal new lifestyle.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my humidity set to 3 and use the slimline hose (unheated). A tank of water will last me about 3 nights, sometimes only 2. The RH in my house is typically fairly steady around 45%-50% with forced hot air heat this time of year. I would double check your machine settings as suggested.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in Arizona, so (almost) always have low humidity. I use about 3/4 of the tank in a 7 hour sleep cycle. Because I use a SoClean, I empty and dry the tank every morning. Without the SoClean, I would do that anyway.
Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply
If it weren't for the convenient one stop shopping of cleaning PAP stuff and making the morning coffee I would let the PAP stuff go a few days before cleaning. As is since I'm not able to put miles on a PAP/ASV it streamlines and quickens the trip to the coffeemaker.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well if going by the above answers it seems like I'm not going through much water (Plus I need to clean it more often).
its Winter here and I think the house humidity is about 20ish. I didnt realize how the humidifer worked before asking this question, now I see it mosty just blows the air over top of the water tank Which is also why I had water in the hose/mask that one time. I keep the machine on the floor and had tipped it to check settings, I think I just caused the water to spill out of the tank in to the hose, then since it hadnt shutoff by itself ( most of the time it does, but sometimes it doesnt )  it just blew it threw the hose in to the mask which was at the same level. Anyway I'm going to see if I can figure out why im using so little water at setting 4 -- I had also forgot to mention I Dont have a heated hose, but am thinking about it since the top of my nose gets COLD from the air blowing past like an air conditioner.
Post Reply Post Reply
I leave the Climate Control on my machine in Auto Mode. Same goes for the Ramp option. I do turn the heat for the hose off  though. 

In regards to water level after a full night of CPAP use, my reservoir usually has some water left in it. Rarely, has it gone dry. Maybe a few (3-4) times? 

I'm using the original reservoir that came with my machine. It's well over two years old and doing great. I don't baby it when I dump the left-over water and then wipe it dry with a paper towel either. I get in there and rid it of all the water.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.