Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How to buy a portable polysomnograph?
Question 
How to buy a portable polysomnograph?
Friends,

I am a 45 y.o. male diagnosed with moderate SA (AHI = 20) in Dec, 2017. I have been on a CPAP ever since.

I have noticed that I have no SA symptoms when taking a nap while lying on a slope (which is unsurprising). I would like to test the results of my sleep while lying on various slope angles and if, while at a reasonably low angle, my AHI drops significantly, I may start thinking of buying a raised/adjustable bed.

Now, I will only be able to do so if I have a polysomnograph handy.

Question: was anybody able to acquire a portable polysomnograph somewhere? The simplest possible (3-4 channels) will do.

Thanks,
D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph?
Suppiler #3 has a Home Sleep Test. I googled "portable somnography equipment." There are results, but I've never heard of anybody personally owning such equipment, it's pricey stuff.
The home sleep test from supplier 3 looks like it has oximetry and respiration cuff.

Welcome to Apnea Board.

I don't know what regulations are put on lab style equipment either.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Just set your machine to 4cm and use the results from that. It should give you an idea if the slant angles are working and by how much. Best thing about it is it's free since you have a machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 04:25 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Just set your machine to 4cm and use the results from that. It should give you an idea if the slant angles are working and by how much. Best thing about it is it's free since you have a machine.

I love free! I was doing some more digging around on this subject, and the famous auction website has the identical polysomnography equipment that was used on me in the lab study. Can have it today for $6999 plus 100 for shipping.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DO3OP,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds pretty cost-prohibitive.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Walla Walla,

Yep, this is what I am going to do if all else fails. I did find an HST device sold by the manufacturer for about $2500.

Cheers,
D.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you could do recording oximetry and have a pretty good idea of whether you have sleep apnea that causes oxygen desaturations and pulse increases. If that is not a problem, then the remaining question is how you "feel". I'm pretty sure on top of all that you could use a smartphone app to register snores and some general sleep quality metrics. If you're or sleep with someone, you will probably be told if your snoring is disruptive.

We treat sleep apnea in large part because of its detrimental effect on sleep by causing arousals. If you don't experience oxygen desats, and feel rested and alert, then you would probably not pursue treatment anyway. If on top of that you're not keeping someone else awake, you may be just fine. You sure don't need polysomnography to tell you those answers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 571 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,004 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Which cable for portable power supply? AndyJay2023 1 661 07-21-2023, 03:34 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Is there a quiet portable CPAP machine? mcman56 0 461 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcman56
  [Equipment] Best portable/travel machine 2020-21? Phasenoise 2 971 11-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Phasenoise
  Ultralight portable cpap kit for camping, hiking, motorcycle, snowmachine, rafting AvalancheinAK 6 3,301 09-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Last Post: CleanH20
  Portable power options bigskypylot406 9 2,570 04-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Osiris357

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.