Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone tried Muse S (headband) with CPAP full face mask?
Anyone tried Muse S (headband) with CPAP full face mask?
Howdy.    I do not get enough 'good' sleep, and since the Muse S = EEG info I suspect it is most reliable for my purpose. I wear an AirFit 20 mask for my apnea (may switch to F&P Vitera) and don't really want to spend $400 for the Muse S if all that gear on my head is likely to be too annoying. 

Thanks-- JT
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone tried Muse S (headband) with CPAP full face mask?
I haven't used one although I have looked at and considered different EEG options since my main issue isn't breathing related but instead spontaneous arousals (confirmed by two PSGs).

I don't think the Muse is accurate enough to be of assistance in troubleshooting sleep issues. I think it can tell you a bit about your sleep (what sleep stages you are in) but that doesn't really help you figure out what is wrong with your sleep or how to fix it (unless you learn that you have insomnia and somehow didn't already know it). To me EEG is only helpful if it can accurately pinpoint arousals so that a person can investigate those arousals (using OSCAR, video recording etc) and try to figure out how to minimize them and I don't believe Muse is capable enough for this. 

Imo everyone considering EEG equipment or a watch that uses actigraphy to track sleep stages need to ask themselves the following question. What information are you going to gain from using this equipment and how is it going to help you improve your sleep? If all you want to do is collect data, learn a bit about your sleep and you have money to burn go for it. If you want to figure out what is wrong with your sleep and ways to improve it then there are probably better methods (to me a night vision camera was the most valuable).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, "Geer1".    That "it can tell you a bit about your sleep (what sleep stages you are in)" is exactly what interests me. My research on the various devices that measure, among other things, time in deep sleep, showed a considerable degree of inaccuracy if using non-EEG data to estimate/interpolate, v. 'measure', sleep stage.

Hence the question about the Muse S headband, especially since my IPAP at 19 requires annoyingly tight straps to keep the AirFit F20 from becoming a hovercraft. ;-)

Thanks again for your input-- JT
Post Reply Post Reply
My question is how does knowing your sleep stage help?

Imo knowing a sleep stage is lacking doesn't help and can create harm by causing anxiety etc thinking/knowing what the issue is but not having any idea on how to improve it. That is why I think a person needs to focus not on knowing sleep stages but rather what is interrupting sleep quality regardless of stage and from what I have seen these headbands aren't very helpful in that regard. I could be wrong but I just don't see the therapeutic benefit their data would provide, just like how oximeters aren't helpful for the majority of patients.
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread is going a little off the rails. My fault. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience wearing the Muse headband with full mask head gear, and probably should not have provided the ultra-abridged version of why I was asking.  But thank you very much for your input and opinions.

JT
Post Reply Post Reply
In that regard I would say it is a personal question. Some people would have issues with it, others like myself would be willing to strap up in full PSG gear nightly if it was available/helpful.

I have been using a full face mask along with a hard cervical collar for last 6 weeks, adding a headband would make little to no difference to me personally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out the Oura Ring Gen 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEE5JB3pF9k
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.