Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How to get tobacco smell out of machine
How to get tobacco smell out of machine
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
Picked up a used Respironics REMstarPlus M series to use for traveling.
It's so much smaller than my old Sullivan V Elite which I use every night.
Unfortunately, the Respironics came from a smoking environment, so it has a bit of a smell. I've cleaned the tubing and the filters,
Any ideas on this?
I am willing to open it up if this would help - I am an electronics tech.
There does not seem to be a tech manual for it in the forum's tech manual area.

Thanks for any help!

-Dick
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to get tobacco smell out of machine
Hi dickpiche,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
One thing you might want to considerdoing is to get new tubing and filters, but hang in there for more ideas and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wipe as much as possible with white vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 06:00 PM)dickpiche Wrote: Hi, I'm new to this forum.
Unfortunately, the Respironics came from a smoking environment, so it has a bit of a smell. I've cleaned the tubing and the filters,
Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any help!

-Dick

I would get a new chamber too and if the mask isn't a new one, I would either really clean them and wash the frame and head gear or better yet, buy a new mask. Basically, I would change everything out that you can. I don't know how the DME does it when machines are returned but my DME said when machines are in a home where people smoke, they have to clean the machines to get the smell out. So, you might ask your DME or a DME what they do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't try any kind of chemicals, gas, etc. into the blower unit. There are delicate electronic sensors inside and anything that can eat up cigarette smell might well eat up the sensors.

Some people put something on a cotton ball and put it near the input, but even that worries me a bit.

Change filters, and clean what you can. If you don't need to use it right away, just waiting for it to air out for a long time might help. Sit it out in the open, and run it for a few minutes several times a day to flush out whatever cigarette vapors have diffused out of the plastic in the inner workings of the machine. Maybe in a few months, it will be better.

If you're using it, and it still has a smell, turn it on and let it run for a minute or two before donning the mask.

Starting with fresh humidifier water every night might help.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any help!

-Dick

HeY Dick, I think I heard somewhere? Activated oxygen or ozone?

or...........if you can't beat em, join em..

wanna smoke Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any help!

-Dick

Dickpiche, Hi, welcome to the forum. I have opened mine up as I had something come lose and I just opened it, reseeated everything and closed it again. I did notice while I was in there that (and I am assuming that most machines are similar) the blower would be very difficult to remove and more so to clean. If you do decide to go that route though, you should consider sanitization afterwards. The machines you can buy to do that are around $300 and then you still have to shell out for couplers for your specific machine! It might be advisable to contact a local DME and ask them about cleaning services. or sanitizing services. Maybe you can find someone with one of those machines that lives near you and you could work with them to use it after you clean it. Just a thought, but anything you do inside that blower has a high possibility of introducing germs and other unsavory items into a clean environment. You might try shooting an email to some of the recommended suppliers listed here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List and explain your predicament. All they can do is ignore you, but one of them may have a good suggestion.
Good luck
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,204 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,132 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,392 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,657 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.