Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere
Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere
Hi all,

I have been working with my CPAP machine for over two months now with great improvements in how I feel. I have had a few normal hiccups in trying to make adjustments to get things dialed in just right.
I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery about 3 weeks ago which is healing great. My AHI has increased since the surgery but is still below 5 and I keep feeling better so I am sure I will get things totally worked out over the next few weeks.
I have just checked my data from last night and it shows a significant period of Cheyne-Stokes breathing, see the screenshot for more details.
I have no idea what this means, how it happens, or why it would happen out of the blue.
I do have epilepsy and have been going through some med changes but have reverted back to my old meds and things have been completely stable for over a week now. I'm not sure if there is any link between epilepsy and Cheyne-Stokes.
Any insight will be helpful. Do I need to see a Dr. about this? What Dr. would I see, GP, ENT, Neuro?

TIA

Doickle

Please let me know if you need to see different graphs on the screenshot.

[Image: DhpAOyAl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes from out of nowhere
Doickle, this is not Cheyne Stokes respiration, but it is periodic breathing. I can show you the difference if it would help, but these are a form of hypopnea and OA that is occurring in an uneven periodic manner. CSR is a very smooth waxing and waning of respiration volume, usually separated by a central apnea, while these are relatively abrupt with recovery breaths on the end of the apnea or hypopnea. It is also very short in duration. The CSR affected individuals have typical AHI of 15 to over 30, with long series of centrals.

Please don't worry about this isolated incident. It does not reflect a health change, and could be as simple as disrupted sleep or a period of obstruction (note the flow limitation) that cold be anything from body position to sleep stage. No way to know for sure, but it isn't something to be concerned about.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What sleep rider said.  I used to get this sometimes before I started wearing a cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys,

I'm still pretty new to this so I wasn't sure if it was real or if it was the machine/software doing something weird.
Add in my epilepsy concerns and I thought maybe something was going downhill.
Still have a lot to learn about this wonderful world.

Thanks for the reassurance and quick answers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 242 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 291 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 328 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need advice - Clear Airway Apnea and Cheyne Stokes skiphudspeth 7 632 12-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New to CPAP, just used OSCAR for the first time, should I be concerned?(Cheyne Stoke) breckenk 23 2,220 11-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: breckenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.