Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] How useful is a hose cover?
How useful is a hose cover?
I am trying to get used to a new APAP machine.  One thing (of many) that bothers me is the perceived coldness of the forced air flow. I do not have a heated tube, but I keep the bedroom relatively warm (70F). I have trouble sleeping if my nose feels cold. With the APAP machine, not just my nose but also my sinuses are uncomfortably cold. A rep at a DME store said a heated hose would not help, that it just controls water condensation in the tube, which is not an issue. I'm wondering if a hose cover would be of any use.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How useful is a hose cover?
I use a hose cover and find it to be very handy and useful. The hose for my machine sits atop our bed's headboard when not in use. 

When in use, it makes the hose much quieter if it should happen to rub against something. Also, there are times when the hose rubs against my head or face. Having a fleece cover on the hose doesn't make it nearly as irritating.

I can't speak to rain-out, or insulating the hose from a cool environment. I bought mine so that it would make the hose quieter if it should rub against something. It's also good protection for the hose itself. We have two cats and although they don't pay any attention to my CPAP equipment, it's peace of mind knowing that they can't chew on the hose if they get a wild hair and choose to do so. 

If you don't want to deal with a cold hose, then yes, a hose cover would serve you well. I bought mine off of EBAY. It was like $6.00 or so and free shipping.

But yes, a hose cover, IMHO, is a great asset. I have the manly all jet black one. No fancy colors or schemes / patterns for me............ Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Try using the preheat feature on your humidifier, so that the water doesn't start out cold.

I disagree with your rep. Get the heated hose, there are separate settings for the humidifier and hose. The hose never gets hot, just stays slightly warm to the touch. Anything you can do to increase your comfort level should be priority.

And as Big Guy said, add a hose cover.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I seem to believe my heated hose does make a difference in air temp. Maybe it's just my perception that it is. I'd go for a heated hose and the cover. It'll be warmer than it is now, and it might be a bit quieter too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your humidifier setting will do more to preheat the air, but the heated hose becomes more important when you use higher humidity. Call your doctor's office and ask to have a heated tube added to your prescription. The DME is just speaking out of the side of her mouth because your script didn't specify heated and she doesn't want to bother with it. It's worth it.

Get the fleece tube cover anyway. They are not expensive and make the tubing feel soft and warmer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite a while ago I bought my machine. It was used. It didn't have a heated hose. It had a humidifier.

I figured that adding a heated hose would make life more comfortable, so I shopped hard and bought one that was 50% off with free shipping!

My take...a basic machine provides air under pressure at room temperature. Since body temperature is so much higher, a humidifier and heated hose makes my cpap treatment more comfortable.

I run my humidifier on "Auto" and max temperature, figuring that helps.

However, last year I had problems with reservoir capacity. It was too low. I boiled the humidifier reservoir dry regularly. Humidity in the house was so low the wood cracked on my ukulele. I bit the bullet and had a humidifier installed on my furnace. That solved the problem with the reservoir capacity. It didn't fix the ukulele. I have a Nest thermostat I installed on my furnace. During winter the humidity in my house was 27%! Now with the humidifier running I have 37% according to the Nest. I'm more comfortable now.

My understanding is that adding a hose blanket will keep the temperature of the air you breathe higher. The air in the hose won't cool off as much; there is less heat loss. Most people buy hose covers to solve problems with rain out. Reading the posts here, I think hose covers or blankets are a good idea, and I would be more comfortable with one; I should get one.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
My RT told me that the heated hose was useless because you can’t change the settings. He couldn’t have been more wrong. I have a heated hose and a hose wrap. For me the hose wrap make the hose silent. 

Here is the chart that tells you what the different settings give you.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...sa_eng.pdf
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there one cover that gets the best reviews. Like everything today, there are way too many choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn’t address the thread title. Hose wraps are useful for silencing the hose as is rubs against surfaces and preventing rainout even with a heated hose. Rainout is not guaranteed to be prevented if you have the settings up to high. The wrap will allow even more humidity with a heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snuggle hose works great. You can get them on their website or Supplier #1. Elsewhere also but I’m not exactly sure
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 642 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,872 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.