Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Humidifier filler
Humidifier filler
I have a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, with an humidifier. Since I breath through my mouth and only through my mouth, the humidifier is essential. With it set on max, I still wake up with my cheeks stuck to my gums.

It being on max also means that the chamber has to be filled every day. Which means pulling it from the machine's body, carrying into the bathroom, filling it full (but not too full), and carrying it back to the machine. Every day. Well worth an humidified night's sleep, but still there has to be something better.

My "better" is a pump filler for the chamber. The first photo shows the power brick on the left - 12 volts with enough current for the pump. In the middle is the pump mounted on the end of a PVC tube. The pump is an automotive windshield washer pump. The inlet tubing is routed inside the PVC. The outlet tubing is connected to the Resmed chamber with a brass fitting. The connection needs to be airtight to prevent leaks of the pressurized air inside.

The second photo shows how the pump's PVC tube is simply stuck in a gallon jug of water. Push the red button on the power supply and water is pumped into the chamber. That's it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier filler
Love it! As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. It is especially needed for the airsense series because of their small reservoir and having to remove it each time. I may just have to make something like yours when my machine becomes mine. Or get a spare chamber to experiment w.
Thanks
Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
Fascinating. I love to see how folks finagle things when what they want isn't what exists.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
When are you adding the automatic level controller?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There has to be a one way check valve in the water line ???
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2016, 10:22 PM)justMongo Wrote: There has to be a one way check valve in the water line ???

Maybe in the pump? Otherwise the fluid would drain back from the windshield into the tank? IDK... people with cars will have to take their pump apart so we will know Smile

But you're right, there needs to be an air tight check valve to prevent pressure from bleeding off.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP Geeks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bob,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
That's very interesting, ingenuity at its best; I just take my humidifier chamber to the kitchen and put a funle in it and pour the water into it to fill mine.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2016, 08:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: When are you adding the automatic level controller?

Funny you should ask. That was my original intent and I did some experimenting with electronics to do it. But I came to my senses and took a more practical approach.

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2016, 10:22 PM)justMongo Wrote: There has to be a one way check valve in the water line ???

Well. the chamber connection is above the water line, so water couldn't drain back. But air could escape & I didn't think about that.

So I checked it this morning. There are bubbles coming out of the tube in the water bottle. But not a real strong steam and the displayed leak rate isn't higher (the leak rate doesn't change when I pinch the tubing to stop the bubbles). It's leaking but not enough to effect the measured rate.

I don't like that it leaks back, but I'm not sure that it's enough of a problem to do something about. I'll think about it. Thanks for spotting that.

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 330 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,128 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 313 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 762 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 505 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.