Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Humidifier not working
Humidifier not working
Hi all.
I've been using a Phillips Respironics System One for several year, but I am a novice at forums. For the past few months, the humidifier has been inconsistent. The water reservoir is either empty or completely full in the morning. I have tried unplugging and replugging, turning the humidifier off and then on, and repositioning the unit closer to the floor. The plate heats, but the humidifier rarely works now. Is there anything else that I can try myself?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier not working
buy a hygrometer and put it next to your machine. make a note of the room humidity on the various days.

your machine, by default, reads the room humidity and adds just enough moisture for whatever setting you've got, and as the weather changes, so does the amount of water used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense, given my humid location. The weird thing is that it hasn't been a frequent problem until recently. I will check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DoRe352,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Hello all ...

I have two ResMed CPAP machines ... an Escape s9, and an Autoset s9, both with H5i. Originally I was prescribed the Escape ... long story short, I had problems getting used to it, and really liked the Autoset one they lent me for the study and such, so I went out and bought one and figured I could have the other as a backup.

Now I digress ... let me get to the meat and potatoes so to speak ...

Recently I have noticed barely any water being used. The last few nights, I awoke with a dry mouth. Normally I am NOT a mouth breather, and wear the nose pillows with much success now for 2 years. The air escape numbers on the Autoset from last night are less than 20L/min or what ever the unit of measure is (its way on the other side of the house as I type this).

I am suspecting that my H5i humidifier is not working .... I went through the testing procedure outlined on their site allowing it to warm up and such, and could basically hold my hand on it as it wasn't even warm. I tried the other H5i humidifier from the other unit, same issue. Then I tried both humidifiers with the Escape s9 which was probably used for literally 2 weeks maximum so its brand new ... still nothing ... switched the plugs ... nothing ...

Basically I let them both run through the warm up procedure with the humidity set to 6, and had my hand flat on the surface ... didn't even get warm ...

Are the units themselves broken? One literally has almost 20 months of continuous service, and the other ... like 2 weeks ... so interchanging the humidifier should have worked ... or something like that ...

Thoughts???
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity does not take very much heat, it may feel warm or maybe not. When the machines are on full auto the tube temp is around 85 degrees F, less than your body temperature. The water tank will be lower than the tube temp. The settings are for a percent humidity and not for adding humidity above room humidity. So room humidity + humidity from the tank = set humidity. If your house has high humidity, then the machine will not add any at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 09:47 PM)damcpap Wrote: Hello all ...

I have two ResMed CPAP machines ... an Escape s9, and an Autoset s9, both with H5i. Originally I was prescribed the Escape ... long story short, I had problems getting used to it, and really liked the Autoset one they lent me for the study and such, so I went out and bought one and figured I could have the other as a backup.

Now I digress ... let me get to the meat and potatoes so to speak ...

Recently I have noticed barely any water being used. The last few nights, I awoke with a dry mouth. Normally I am NOT a mouth breather, and wear the nose pillows with much success now for 2 years. The air escape numbers on the Autoset from last night are less than 20L/min or what ever the unit of measure is (its way on the other side of the house as I type this).

I am suspecting that my H5i humidifier is not working .... I went through the testing procedure outlined on their site allowing it to warm up and such, and could basically hold my hand on it as it wasn't even warm. I tried the other H5i humidifier from the other unit, same issue. Then I tried both humidifiers with the Escape s9 which was probably used for literally 2 weeks maximum so its brand new ... still nothing ... switched the plugs ... nothing ...

Basically I let them both run through the warm up procedure with the humidity set to 6, and had my hand flat on the surface ... didn't even get warm ...

Are the units themselves broken? One literally has almost 20 months of continuous service, and the other ... like 2 weeks ... so interchanging the humidifier should have worked ... or something like that ...

Thoughts???

This morning was even worse. My mouth and throat was so dry, that my eye balls woke up dry. The leak per minute rate 27.0L/min. Total therapy time 8hr, 3.5 AHI. As soon as I woke up, I pulled the water tray, and bottom wasn't even warm. As for the warming tray in the unit, it felt like it was pulling heat from my fingers as I held them RIGHT on the unit for like 30 seconds - nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. What's going on with your indoor air this time of year? A/C round the clock? No A/C? Do you sleep with your windows open?

If you are comfortable with using the Escape S9 for a night, I would do that to see if you have the same problem with dryness in the morning.

(07-03-2016, 07:06 AM)damcpap Wrote: This morning was even worse. My mouth and throat was so dry, that my eye balls woke up dry. The leak per minute rate 27.0L/min. Total therapy time 8hr, 3.5 AHI. As soon as I woke up, I pulled the water tray, and bottom wasn't even warm. As for the warming tray in the unit, it felt like it was pulling heat from my fingers as I held them RIGHT on the unit for like 30 seconds - nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2016, 11:11 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi. What's going on with your indoor air this time of year? A/C round the clock? No A/C? Do you sleep with your windows open?

If you are comfortable with using the Escape S9 for a night, I would do that to see if you have the same problem with dryness in the morning.

(07-03-2016, 07:06 AM)damcpap Wrote: This morning was even worse. My mouth and throat was so dry, that my eye balls woke up dry. The leak per minute rate 27.0L/min. Total therapy time 8hr, 3.5 AHI. As soon as I woke up, I pulled the water tray, and bottom wasn't even warm. As for the warming tray in the unit, it felt like it was pulling heat from my fingers as I held them RIGHT on the unit for like 30 seconds - nothing.

I could ... but been there done that. Neither of the heating plates get warm.
Not sure what came first the chicken or the egg ...
Is my mouth dry because I am opening it because the humidity is so lacking? Or would I otherwise be mouth breathing and need to revisit this whole nasal pillow thing.
I do have the AC cranked, but the fact that I have gone through the testing procedure on both of the units and neither of the heating plates gets remotely warm tells me something is wrong that has nothing to do with the air escaping ... I am definitely going to go to the "place" tomorrow when they are open and bring my units with me and hopefully they can shed some light.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 96 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 181 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.