Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap suggestions?
RE: Chin strap suggestions?
I've used spandex headbands as chinstraps--very cheap at $2 each. You will need several since they stretch out after 2 or 3 nights, but you can shrink them back down by machine washing them in hot water. I switched to the PureSom Ruby chinstrap when I got tired of dealing with the stretching. They both stay in place well. I'm not using a chinstrap at this time since I haven't had trouble with mouth leaks lately.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to my DME today and picked up a Philips Respironics "Deluxe Chin Strap." Nowhere on the package or instructions does it give any other model information. It looks a lot like the PR "Premium" chin strap or the AG "Deluxe" chin strap, except that it has a band around the back of the head as well. It was the only one they carry. I kind of wanted the Puresom Ruby mentioned by others here based on pictures online, but the one I ended up with may actually be better because it is very wide. My goal, after all, is leak control, not to stop mouth breathing.

I'll take it for a spin tonight a ver cómo sale.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night did not go as well as I had hoped - the chin strap kept getting loose. I think I need to work on getting it properly placed and tightened. The online pictures of some chin straps look like they may stay put better, so I may end up buying a different chin strap.

The good news is that my leaks were a bit lower than usual. Still too high, but much closer to the magic 24 L mark. My max was 32.40 and my 95% was 25.20. My usual numbers are 40-50 max and 30-35 for the 95%.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME sent me a generic chin strap made of neoprene or something similar. I've found that it works best if, rather than put it on and under my chin as instructed, I push it up right under my lower lip and tighten. This way it not only keeps my jaw from dropping open, but also makes it harder for my lips to part and let air escape.

Before I got this one, I was using a piece of velcro that attaches to the top of my mask harness. There's no stretch to velcro, so it keeps a firmer grip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 01:37 PM)Shastzi Wrote: It's a chin strap. It straps under your chin. What do they think is going to happen?

They're probably afraid that they won't be able to get reimbursed from the insurance company without a prescription.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best chin strap I've found is the Puresom Ruby. This is available on Amazon without a prescription (bought one years ago ... before cpap ... for "drooling" (blush))
Dare I tell you this???
The BEST result I had, however, came from taping my mouth with blue painter's tape. (I hear the gasps)
Yes, I looked ridiculous, but it worked and, after two or three weeks, my body had learned to keep its big mouth shut and lips sealed.
I no longer have to use anything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,829 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 560 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  2 weeks in. Any suggestions? brainfoggysleeper 3 157 03-07-2024, 04:32 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 227 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 340 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,028 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.