Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 setting problem
RE: Resmed S9 setting problem
Hello, here’s an update of my problem.

First, about the sleepyhead software(readings of the pressure). I reinstalled the software on another computer and haven't any problems(or errors) with the program any more. I guess the problem was triggered by copying the whole SD (with external disk number) on my computer.

Second, I turned EPR settings off . It’s much better for me. In the period with EPR on, I had readings of 10 -16 AHI. The latest 30 day statistics I have an average of AHI 5.15
A this moment I’m trying to increase the pressure from 7.00 to 7.80. I hope by increasing the pressure I can reduce the events below 5.00 AHI.

I’m still suffering from a dry mouth, and nasal congestion. Today I was shocked when I looked at the resmed S9 filter, it was turning brown! So… I washed it with clear water and a little bit product en let it dry on a clean towel. Resmed says to replace the filter every 6 months but I think it’s to long for me.

Still wondering what to do with that dry mouth, I don't really want to wear a chin strap…is there another solution for the problem? Is a mouth + nose mask easier to wear than a nose mask? I’m having a lot of leaks with my nose mask, especially when lying down on my side.

Keep on using CPAP, especially for people with Atrial Fibrillation(AF) like me, I'm having incredible results here, feeling much better!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2013, 02:54 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote: I’m still suffering from a dry mouth, and nasal congestion. Today I was shocked when I looked at the resmed S9 filter, it was turning brown! So… I washed it with clear water and a little bit product en let it dry on a clean towel. Resmed says to replace the filter every 6 months but I think it’s to long for me.
ResMed also say to replace filter more often if required and S9 filter is not washable or reusable

If your nose congested ... you tend to breathe thru your mouth and mouth breathing causes dry mouth

Experiment with humidity, some get congested with more humidity and others with less

Sinus washes, Neilmed sinus rinse or similar product, washes mucus from nose and help relieve nasal congestion also recommended for CPAP users
[Image: prod15_b_srk60.png]

Not sure which ResMed Mirage nasal mask are you using, make sure not to over-tighten and mask cushion replaced if worn out
ResMed fitting guides: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA23652FAF5627F3F

Generally but not always, full face masks are harder to tame than nasal pillows or nasal masks
Full face mask allows you to breathe thru your nose or mouth, mouth breathing lead to dry mouth
You might need to more humidity with this type of mask.
Full face mask did not work me but many people are happy with this type of mask ... everyone is different

Like it or not .. chinstrap helps minimize mouth breathing and keep mask in place (worn over mask), better option to begin with than full face mask

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2013, 02:54 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote: Still wondering what to do with that dry mouth, I don't really want to wear a chin strap…is there another solution for the problem? Is a mouth + nose mask easier to wear than a nose mask? I’m having a lot of leaks with my nose mask, especially when lying down on my side.

Full face masks (FFM) are usually more leak prone than nasal masks.

Which Mirage mask do you have? There are about 4 different masks with that name. You can look ResMed Mirage up on Google and probably find your mask.

In my opinion a chin strap is a lot less hassle than a FFM. FFMs are harder to fit, they push back on your jaw and can make apnea worse, you can't talk or sip water, etc. Even with a FFM, mouth breathing is a bad thing. Some FFM users find they still need a chin strap.

I make my own chin straps from 3 inch non-adhesive Ace bandages.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2013, 08:05 PM)archangle Wrote: In my opinion a chin strap is a lot less hassle than a FFM. FFMs are harder to fit, they push back on your jaw and can make apnea worse, you can't talk or sip water, etc. Even with a FFM, mouth breathing is a bad thing. Some FFM users find they still need a chin strap.

I make my own chin straps from 3 inch non-adhesive Ace bandages.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but would like to point something out.

I have 5 different chinstraps. The reason I have 5 of them is that the first 4 that I bought simply couldn't be adjusted properly so they didn't pull my jaw back. I finally found one with the chin cup shaped properly and a decently adjustable positioning strap going around the back so that I could move the top of the strap forward enough so it held my jaw up instead of up AND back without sliding down my forehead. The other chin straps felt fine at first, but when my jaw muscles relaxed as I fell asleep I would feel my jaw sinking back. Even looking at the pictures of the chin straps on the plastic heads in adverstisements you can see that the recommended positioning of many of these chin straps causes the force to be directed upward and back - not just up. The only way I got the last chin strap to hold my jaw up without pulling it back was to position it much differently than shown in the picture.

The Quattro FX doesn't pull my jaw back at all though.

Like Zonk says though, "Everyone is different". Maybe my face/head is shaped funny - I guess. It just seems to me to be a mistake to take it for granted that a FFM will pull the jaw back but a chin strap won't.

Just my two cents.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,010 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 810 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,392 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 304 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 536 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 374 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.