Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Humidifier question
Humidifier question
Do I really need to change the distilled water in the humidifier every morning? It seems like such a waste. I doesn't even look like any of the water was used during the night. 
Also, do I need to fill the humidifier all the way to the top line of the water level mark?

I set my humidifier on 4, and i wake up in the night with my mouth and tongue all dried out. If I set the humidifier higher, it gurgles and that's not good either.
Any help please?
DotLove
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier question
You don't have to change distilled water daily, but don't let it go too long because the warm moist container is a pretty good medium for some non-pathogenic bacteria (pink slime) and it's just better to change regularly. Many of us use tap water with no problems. You do not need to fill to the maximum line.

Be sure to route your hose upward from the machine, then back down to where you sleep. That will avoid gurgling and allow any moisture to drain back. An inexpensive fleece CPAP tube cover will make the tube more comfortable, quieter and prevent condensation. A dry mouth is leaks, not humidity. Try downloading OSCAR and you will get a much better idea of your therapy and leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out using distilled water. I did that for a few months. Got tired of having to buy it and make sure I had enough on hand.

I'm now using tap water and no problems at all. I do empty the water reservoir each & every morning and then wipe it dry. About every 3rd or 4th day, I use some white vinegar in it to remove any mineral build-up. That does a great job.

I fill my reservoir up to the full mark. Most nights, I get close to going thru a full reservoir.

Distilled water here is about $0.99 a gallon @ Walmart. I know it's not a lot of money, but it does add up over the months and years. That's money I'd rather use for fuel in my motorcycle.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
I have downloaded Oscar but I have no Idea how to read it or what it means. Way too complicated and I'm no rocket scientist lol.
Do I need to take out the SD card from the cpap machine and plug it into my laptop to see the results?
I have MyAir app on my phone which tells me info.
Soon I will receive my third mask. I need full face mask. The first one is better than the second, but apparently I still have leaks....must be when I move in my sleep because it doesn't leak at first.
I just don't understand how anybody gets the right fit or right machine. I use ResMed Air Sense 10 Autoset.
First mask was AirFit F20 and second mask (which was awful) was Amara View.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you have to take the card out and put it into the computer card reader to download the data. The my air app is used by your provider to check on use nothing else. OSCAR give detail reports that the gurus here can see and help you make changes on the machine that you just will not get from the supplier or Dr.

As far as masks many of us have had several - many masks before we find one we really like and keep buying.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the same machine as you. I was given an AirFit F20 FFM to use, as it was the same as I used in my two night, in-lab sleep study. 

The F20 worked fine for me. When the F30 came out, I ordered one. It's now my primary FFM. I swap back & forth between the two from time to time. The F30 is more comfortable and less intimidating. 

I was lucky! I was prescribed the best machine (from what I have found out) and a mask that was suitable. I'm a side sleeper and the F30 accommodates me well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Guy, I'm very happy about the great experience you've had with your sleep therapy. I think you are one of the lucky ones. This whole process is driving me crazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't feel too very bad, as it will get better after some time. My SIL felt as you do. She had issues from the start adjusting to this and to that. 

It's just a matter of some trial & error. She too, had some issues with her mask. She tried a few and settled on one, but I don't know which one. 

I was into my CPAP regime about 18 months before she was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I knew enough by then to tell her to get a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (FOR HER model). 

That's what she did and her sleep clinic was impressed by her request. Anyways, she's now been at it for several months and she's doing fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2020, 10:09 AM)DotLove Wrote: Do I really need to change the distilled water in the humidifier every morning? It seems like such a waste. I doesn't even look like any of the water was used during the night. 
Also, do I need to fill the humidifier all the way to the top line of the water level mark?

I set my humidifier on 4, and i wake up in the night with my mouth and tongue all dried out. If I set the humidifier higher, it gurgles and that's not good either.
Any help please?
DotLove

Hi DotLove,
I dump and wash the reservoir weekly, then let it air dry during the day.  Especially during the summer, I don't fill it to the top, as it is easy to spill water near the hinge side, when full.  Depending on the humidity where you live and in your bedroom, more or less water will be used.

I use a Climatline heated hose, and am using the Auto settings.  I have never had the gurgling (rainout), and my mouth is less dry than when I had a non-heated hose.  Others have suggested making sure the machine is at a lower level than the bed, in order for condensation to run back into the humidifier tank.  Other suggestions have included using a hose caddy to suspend the hose above you.

Note that dry mouth is usually indicative of mouth breathing or mouth leaks.  See the Mask wiki to read about these issues.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2020, 10:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: A dry mouth is leaks, not humidity.

Not always the case, I can ramp up humidity to 8 and still get dry mouth, heck even on the occasional rainout I still have dry mouth. Mouth breather, resp. rate is 18.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,159 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 513 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.