Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Humidifier water tank.....
Hello,
   How important is to get a new  humidifier water tank every 6 months. I clean mine out thoroughly every week & it seems fine to me. Is it really necessary???

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can keep it clean, nothing is broken, and it doesn't leak thee is probably no reason to change it. I've used one for over a year.

I would replace it if there was a buildup of minerals on the metal bottom as that would interfere with the transmission of heat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

If your insurance covers it, it's a good idea to have an extra.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 12:43 PM)MDHilz Wrote: Hello,
   How important is to get a new  humidifier water tank every 6 months. I clean mine out thoroughly every week & it seems fine to me. Is it really necessary???

Thanks

depends who pays for it

if insurance does i would stockpile a spare 
for the time you do need it
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still using the tank that came with my CPAP and that was 3 years ago. I bought the "Dishwasher Safe" tank shortly after getting my unit and it is still in it box.
Post Reply Post Reply

One year and still on the same tank. I did order a new one and keep it for a spare. I have no plans to replace it until it gives me a sign. I use distilled water and it still looks like brand new. 

Replacement schedule:
Tank - when it breaks
Hose - next time at one year or breaks 
Mask and head gear- one year or when it breaks
Pillows - two months, maybe longer next time. They're expensive. 
Chin strap - never again. I have out grown the need. 

I have tried shorter times but found no good reason to change more frequently and the equipment always looked and function like the new replacement. Except the filter. I change it every two months. (I have cats and am allergic.)
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
Do Resmed really recommend replacement every six months?  Bug-eyed 
[mind you, I have never bothered to read my PR Dreamstation booklet to see what it recommends]

My theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ....... while my equipment continues to do the job I will keep using it. 

I just give everything a basic clean once a month. [but then I don't have any real health issues that require me to be overly 'bug sterile' at this stage]
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 08:45 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: Do Resmed really recommend replacement every six months?  Bug-eyed 

The only official thing I have found from Resmed is to change the filters every 2 months. More or less if conditions require.
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply

I think most insurance will let you replace the hose at 3 months and the humidifier tank at 6 months. 
But I only use my humidifier about 50% of the time and have a humidifier tank that is at least 5 years 
old and still works. And in the 10 + years I have been on cpap I have only needed to replace the hose
twice. Oh it's always  good to have an extra one in case yours breaks at 2am and not be like some posters
I have seen here saying something like " It's saterday night and I just found my cat chewed a hole in my
hose what am I going to do "
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distilled water and wipes Kathy Oreardon 22 475 05-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Help me understand how humidifier levels are managed by the xPAP DanPrado 16 271 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Humidifier/Heated Hose Usage during Summer pcplus2 7 165 05-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  SleepyHead showing Humidifier Disconnected cate1898 6 204 05-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  AirSense 10 Humidifier is not working spooky101 10 5,118 04-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Raysie
  Distilled water vs demineralised water BHappy 33 1,142 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  [Equipment] ResMed Autoset II w/EPR and humidifier -ERROR thisazlife 2 251 04-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Last Post: thisazlife