Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] I can't keep my mask on.
I can't keep my mask on.
Hi there, I'm a new member and somewhat a fairly new CPAP user. 
I've had pretty bad sleep for a few years and my doctor finally told me to get a test at a clinic. Went there and found out I had pretty bad sleep apnea (AHI around 80).
So my doctor told me to get a CPAP machine. Got a resmed s10 with a n20 mask at the beginning of december and things were pretty ok at first but the mask was feeling awkward, so when the technician came, after talking to him about it he gave me a n30i which feels pretty great while I'm awake. 
The trouble is that I keep taking the mask off after 2h and I don't get my 4hrs per night. 
I don't feel well rested when waking up and a bit frustrated at myself. 
Does anyone have any tips ? I will try going back to the n20 for a few nights to see if things get better, but as I said earlier the mask isn't that comfortable to me. I even shaved my beard to see if it changed anything but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
The machine is set to auto, with a 6-14 range and the humidifier is set to 6. 
Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I can't keep my mask on.
When You say that you are taking the mask off after two hours, I am assuming this is an unconscious action or it is coming off while changing your sleep position. The mask might not be fitting properly, or may need to be snugged up a little.  When tightening your head gear be careful not to tighten up too much.  I would test any tightening of head gear for a while before falling asleep.

It may be that that mask may not be right for you.  I went through MANY masks before I settled on swift fx pillows.  This depends on the structure of your face.  It is the plight of many PAP users.  I am a restless sleeper and change positions so often while I sleep my sheets need to repositioned daily.

Mask Primer from bonjour's signature
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that's it, I take it off while asleep. I thought about the snugness too so I loosened it a bit last night. I will keep trying either with the other mask or this one with different levels of tightness.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are physically taking it off I do not think tightening will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd suggest getting OSCAR and post a chart. It's possible your low pressure setting maybe is too low for you. If so, you might tear the mask off to get air.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do when I can post links !
Post Reply Post Reply
The OSCAR chart screenshot should go under an attachment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohhh silly me ! 
here are the last 2 nights then.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
How does the therapy and air feel when first starting the machine, this is assuming you're not on ramp. I couldn't see the data for the setting for EPR. It's possible you could benefit from a pressure bump of 1 to a 7. Maybe try it and see how it goes. If you don't like the feel of that, you can always drop it back.

As is, if you're running EPR of 3 and low pressure number is 6, you're not receiving the full EPR as most machines can't drop below 4. In that case as well, starting at 7 gives full EPR down to 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to the suggestions you've received already, here are some ideas:

Put a piece of medical tape or a band-aid over your mask strap so that it is stuck on your face on both sides. If you try to take off your mask, the theory is that the tug on your skin will wake you up.

Put socks or mittens on your hands. That might prevent you from having the dexterity to remove your mask.

Wear a cap to bed that ties under your chin, or put a chin strap or other stretchy band over your headgear.

A lot of people find that once they find a method that wakes them up if they try to take the mask off, they don't need to use it for very long. Your mind and body will figure out that it's OK to have all this strange stuff on your head.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,222 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,428 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,838 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,535 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.