Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] I'm having a go round with the DME and the insurance company. Buncha scammers!
Angry 
I'm having a go round with the DME and the insurance company. Buncha scammers!
First of all, thanks for all your help. I have been very informed about my rights and this process thanks to many of you.Thanks Immediately after my prescription was given to me I was on the cell with my insurance company checking my benefits. I was told that my company provided me with 85% of DME and I was responsible for 15%. Ok... What about deductible? Well, your deductible has been met for the year. Hurrah!
We dropped off my script at the DME later in the day on Tuesday and I waited. Yesterday I called and gave them my request for a specific machine. (Resmed airsense 10 autoset for her) they didn't know anything about their ability to provide that specific machine. I told them they can order it from the Internet and I'll wait until they get it. I've been prescribed this for life and I'm going to be provided the machine I want. Unsure she said she would make a note in my chart.
She then told me that I would owe $24.95 for the first 2 months and $120.00 for the next 3 that "my insurance company was REQUIRING me to rent the machine for 5 months. I hung up and called the insurance company back. The insurance company said they would provide for the rental until the purchase price is met OR straight out purchase. I told her great and hung up. I called back the DME and informed them that INDEED my insurance company did not require a rental and they said the DME should just get the machine I want and submit a claim. So if it all works out I should not have to pay over $400 for the apap. Just the 15% which is what my benefit provides. Laugh-a-lot I'm prepared to put my foot down more if I have to. After all, these people work for me...not the other way around. By the way, I was super nice the whole time.Grin
Hopefully the autoset will take care of my open airway events 12% and I don't have to do this
over for an ASV! Dancing

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm having a go round with the DME and the insurance company. Buncha scammers!
SpeedyD,

Good on ya. Let us know what happens.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I'm having a go round with the DME and the insurance company. Buncha scammers!
Good for you for checking. They may not be a bunch of scammers though. That could be the requirement for some of the insurance company contracts with your insurance company. My brother and I both had Blue Cross of MN, but my contract (individual policy) covered more than his (work policy).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SpeedyD,
Good job on standing up for yourself; you’re right, they do work for you.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
In the "bunch scammers" department, we have a 10% sales tax in Washington. First time I bought a machine the DME told me that the insurance did not cover sales tax. So I was responsible for my 15% co-pay plus another 10% sales tax, for a total of 25%. This was, of course, total bull. Their scam was to bill the insurance company for the sales tax (which is of course covered) then pocket the extra 10% from me. This scam didn't work since I was on to them, but I had to wonder how many hundreds of other customers got scammed who weren't quick enough to recognize the rip-off.

One thing I'll say for CPAP therapy, ya gotta stay on yer toes! Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2015, 01:54 PM)Tacoma Droner Wrote: One thing I'll say for CPAP therapy, ya gotta stay on yer toes! Dancing

Is it just CPAP or is the whole DME industry like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2015, 05:06 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(11-21-2015, 01:54 PM)Tacoma Droner Wrote: One thing I'll say for CPAP therapy, ya gotta stay on yer toes! Dancing

Is it just CPAP or is the whole DME industry like this?

Pretty much the whole DME industry.
Cpap is just easier to fool people with than say oxygen concentrater or diabetic supplies etc.:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 904 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.