Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] I need help with picking a mask.
RE: I need help with picking a mask.
Most people recommend trying a chin strap before deciding that a full face mask is necessary. Another thing that some have been successful with is training their tongue to seal their mouth off from their airway. Just keeping the mouth closed is generally not enough to prevent mouth leaking although it will prevent mouth breathing.

I would try a chin strap first if you like the nasal pillows. Chin straps, however, seem to be as individual as masks, so the first try may not be the optimum. There is one that many seem to like best by Carefusion but I can not keep it on my head.

Ii use a full face mask and it works well for me but it took some effort to get to that point.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the Respironics premium chin strap. I dont use it now because I got the tongue seal trick learned finally. But once on it aint going anywhere. Its wide but comfortable. Tried a couple others that either wouldnt stay on or didnt put my jaw in the right position so still lip leaked. Ehhh I got no front teeth so not hard to lip leak LOL.

The Respironics premium pulls straight up on your jaw not slightly back like other chin straps I had. If there is one thatll stop your mouth leaking that one will do it. Not pricey either and lasts forever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I should have added that I do have a chin strap, BreatheWear HALO. It definitely eliminated the mouth breathing but does little to stop the air escaping past my lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
The wife tried a trick with nasal before she decided she just liked the FFM better that worked like a charm.

Used a chinstrap. Then wet her lips put a little polident creme on her lips pursed them together and walah no lip leaks.

She could if she needed to instantly open her mouth unlike with tape and also simply touch her tongue to her lips to moisten them purse them together again and reseal them shut.

However the nasal mask we had then for her to use was a bit small and made the base of her nose sore after a while so she went to the Simplus FFM and loves it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went ahead and ordered a Fisher & Paykel Simplus face mask. I can return the P10 so but I have to have it back to them by the 27th.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 01:59 PM)LevelMarc Wrote: I went ahead and ordered a Fisher & Paykel Simplus face mask. I can return the P10 so but I have to have it back to them by the 27th.

I think youll like it alot. Very comfortable easy to clean and seal and fits loosely. I see you run a PRS1 Auto aflex same machine as wife and I both have.

You can set your resistance setting on your machine at either 0 or X1 for that mask. We both have ours on X1 which seems to let the machines respond a bit faster when they need too.

X1 is pretty much the go to setting for full face masks and nasal masks as long as the inlet hose coupling is just your run of the mill cpap hose end size.

The other x settings are for pillows and masks that have their own small hoses attached that create a choke point for the airflow that the machine needs to know to overcome.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help picking a new CPAP machine. edyurgal 19 1,915 09-15-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: edyurgal
  Picking up where I left off - My CPAP Therapy Thread SwirlySauce 38 2,777 04-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: SwirlySauce
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,211 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need advise and help picking correct CPAP leanintoit 7 900 02-16-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: leanintoit
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.