Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Inside View of a ResMed S9 CPAP Machine
RE: Inside View of a ResMed S9 CPAP Machine
(01-22-2013, 01:24 PM)gjw Wrote: Wonder what happens when the CR2032 batteries die?

Once the battery dies, and you unplug it, or lose power you are screwed.

There are unique parameters in the unit that are not field programmable.

Post Reply Post Reply
Those CR2032 CMOS batteries usually have a long life, usually at least as long as the average lifespan of the CPAP machine. I've had computers that sat around unplugged for nearly 10 years, and even then, the CMOS battery was fine and kept pretty good time during the entire decade of non-use.

I'm surprised that a CPAP machine would be unusable if the CMOS battery dies or is removed. After replacing it with a new battery most computers will simply revert to an original factory state and I would think that the only thing you'd lose would be user's info or the clinician settings (thinks like pressure settings, date/time, etc.)...

But then again, I haven't tried to remove mine to test that theory, and no... I ain't gonna either. Too-funny

kbeckman Wrote:There are unique parameters in the unit that are not field programmable.

I'm wondering did you test this yourself perhaps? Or how did you find this out? I would think that all necessary code would be embedded into the firmware, not held in CMOS RAM. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 01:24 PM)gjw Wrote: Wonder what happens when the CR2032 batteries die?

;-> gjw

The clock probably stops working and screws up data collection for one thing.

Yet another way to screw the patient and require him to pay a larcenous rate for an unnecessary service call because the battery isn't customer replaceable.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 07:43 PM)kbeckman Wrote:
(01-21-2013, 09:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: How difficult was it to take apart? I'm thinking of taking apart my Escape to see how they compare. Perhaps the real question is how hard was it to put back together?

For me, it was rather easy, but I'm used to taking things like this apart.

I can't recommend to anyone that they take these apart, as this is a medical device.

Oh, I'm used to taking things apart and back together again. It's a hobby of mine I guess. Too-funny

I have the Escape and since I'm not depending on it, I'm really really tempted to see how it differs inside.

I'm even more tempted now to take out the battery and see what happens. Oh-jeezEat-popcorn

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 05:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(01-22-2013, 07:43 PM)kbeckman Wrote:
(01-21-2013, 09:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: How difficult was it to take apart? I'm thinking of taking apart my Escape to see how they compare. Perhaps the real question is how hard was it to put back together?

For me, it was rather easy, but I'm used to taking things like this apart.

I can't recommend to anyone that they take these apart, as this is a medical device.

Oh, I'm used to taking things apart and back together again. It's a hobby of mine I guess. Too-funny

I have the Escape and since I'm not depending on it, I'm really really tempted to see how it differs inside.

I'm even more tempted now to take out the battery and see what happens.

That leads me to wonder.
Oh and by the way, I'm pondering this - untested and as far as I can tell it may even be dangerous. The brave soul who does this, it is at their own risk.

If removing the battery messes things up, then it stands to twisted logic to replace the battery while the machine is plugged in and still operating. Now, I know that this can run the risk of electrical shock to the person attempting it, but theoretically speaking, can it be done successfully?

I can bet that my old Healthdyne machine had no battery. It collected and stored no data. It just pumped air. That's how it stayed in service for 14 years. To be sure, during my undercover investigations on the ResMed site, I was able to download all the clinical manuals I wanted :grin: but no service manuals.
Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:If removing the battery messes things up, then it stands to twisted logic to replace the battery while the machine is plugged in and still operating. Now, I know that this can run the risk of electrical shock to the person attempting it, but theoretically speaking, can it be done successfully?

No. There's too much of a risk of touching something live. Or, worse, dropping the battery and have it short out the board by touching two things at once. Then there's the arc risk.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You'll find the internals of the machine are 24 volts or less, so you are pretty safe poking around inside it. Of course there is the risk of electrostatically frying the odd chip or two on the board and crippling it. It is a small computer after all.

It's 24v output from the power brick so that's OK to play with, but don't mess with the brick itself or power point side of the brick Shock
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 09:41 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
Quote:If removing the battery messes things up, then it stands to twisted logic to replace the battery while the machine is plugged in and still operating. Now, I know that this can run the risk of electrical shock to the person attempting it, but theoretically speaking, can it be done successfully?

No. There's too much of a risk of touching something live. Or, worse, dropping the battery and have it short out the board by touching two things at once. Then there's the arc risk.

Looks like the battery is on the bottom of the circuit board, so that would make it doubly difficult. You might be able to take the card out, and plug the power supply in, then swap the battery. Not that I'm recommending it.

Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 01:48 AM)archangle Wrote:

;-> gjw

The clock probably stops working and screws up data collection for one thing.

Yet another way to screw the patient and require him to pay a larcenous rate for an unnecessary service call because the battery isn't customer replaceable.

BTW, at least it's not like the Respironics machines where you can't even reset the clock without software and a special cable not available to the general public.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Observations and Questions.
Parts on the board as best as I can figure

Underside view

Power connector (Upper left with red, white, black wires.)
Modem connector (blue)
2 point airflow sensor (black, just below modem connector) Rests on top of two round silicone bumps. Note that the airflow sensor appears to be before the fan in the airflow path.
Main processor. (Black square just right and below 2 point airflow sensor) ARM processor.
SD card holder (Upper right)
Humidifier connector (Left edge, below power connector)
"Sensor 1" (lower left with round silicone air connector) Probably the pressure sensor located after the fan in the airflow.
SK3 (White rectangle to the left of Sensor 1) The connector where the blower plugs into the circuit board (I think).

It's neat how the only thing to plug in is the power connector for the blower motor. The airflow connectors just lay on top of the port they need. The buttons just sit on top of the switches.

How does the knob come off?

Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 27 504 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,749 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,364 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.