Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Inside View of a ResMed S9 CPAP Machine
RE: Observations and Questions.
I got to thinking about how a 3 phase DC motor worked and found this Youtube video.

Note the motor has 3 wires, and there are 6 switches (transistors.) I was having a little trouble picturing this.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2013, 04:51 PM)archangle Wrote: Note the motor has 3 wires, and there are 6 switches (transistors.)

Arch,

Those are actually some type of switched diodes to direct the energy (one-way) to the coils, a transistor is a voltage amplifier with 3 connections each (base, emitter & collector).

The video's design schematic is for a hybrid car motor control.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2013, 02:24 AM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 04:51 PM)archangle Wrote: Note the motor has 3 wires, and there are 6 switches (transistors.)

Arch,

Those are actually some type of switched diodes to direct the energy (one-way) to the coils, a transistor is a voltage amplifier with 3 connections each (base, emitter & collector).

The video's design schematic is for a hybrid car motor control.

It's an idealized diagram of how a 3 phase DC motor works. CPAP machine or hybrid car, the principles are the same. It doesn't matter whether the switching elements are mechanical switches, Thyristors, or FET transistors like the S9 uses.

The schematic shows mechanical switches as the switching element. No one's going to build a 3 phase DC motor controller with mechanical switches these days for use in actual production. "Switched diodes" would have a different symbol on a circuit diagram. The diodes are "snubber diodes" used to keep arcs from developing across the switch when the switch opens while driving the inductive load of the motor. (Plus some other more complicated reasons.)
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Inside View of a ResMed S9 CPAP Machine
You guys are talking way above my head, for sure. Cool

I have a challenge for you...

Say "Wire Wound Resistors" outloud 10 times fast...

We'll see if your verbal skills matches your mental skills. Bigwink Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2013, 05:33 AM)archangle Wrote: [quote='2Tim215' pid='27861' dateline='1358831133']
... gray square thing labeled 173-086 1026 ...

BZ1 (printed on board next to component) - probably "Buzzer 1" ( see: www designation-systems net/usmilav/electronics.html )

173-086 - white square package, 4 holes near corners
last 4 digits - varies on other units - probably date code YYww - YY=year - ww=week within year.
Probably Intervox surface mount buzzer by International Components Corporation.
see: www icc107 com/inc/Intervox_catalog/main_icc_cat.pdf ,
picture 1 at "Surface Mount Piezo Buzzers", "audible devices" -
picture 2 at page 8, Surface Mount Piezo Buzzers, diagram for BSP1602SM-GW Series

Post Reply Post Reply
If you do decide to open one of these up and explore, just be extra careful not to stress any wires, tubings or tubing receptacles as those parts are very easy to break. I can imagine getting specific replacement parts for these units would be harder than pulling teeth and you would have to have some connections to obtain replacement parts for the internals of your CPAP machine. So work slowly, be sure you have adequate lighting so you can see clearly what you're moving around, and before you disconnect something like a connector or a tubing be sure and mark it in such a way that you will later know where it is to go back when you reassemble your unit.

Another suggestion I would offer for first-time explorers and the curious, opt for an expendable CPAP unit to disassemble as opposed to taking apart your good unit that you rely on for your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a video I shot using the Inside View of ResMed pictures and the ResMed S9 Elite Teardown directions.

I bought this machine used and wanted to thoroughly clean it.

ResMed S9 Assembly Video
Post Reply Post Reply
Parts are easy and cheap to get, IF you are authorised. Otherwise it's probably a $2 part and $200 fitting and $100 DME handling fee
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2017, 06:53 AM)Greggory Wrote: I bought this machine used and wanted to thoroughly clean it.

Nicely done!

I've bought used machines on craigslist and cleaned them. I did my S9 and a couple of PRS1 machines. The only thing not cleanable on the S9 are the impeller blades (what you call spiral fins) because the unit is sealed. On a PRS1 you can soak them in a cleaner scrub them with a tiny brush, just don't overfill the soaking tub and get the motor wet.

My original machine was a PRS1, bought new from a DME, and it developed an odor after a few months of use. I think I put up with it for over a year before taking it apart to clean it. Every surface in the air path was coated with a thin oily film that had a fine powder embedded in it. I think it was some kind of oil that trapped dust and turned rancid. Very gross.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious, if anyone did a tear down of a ResMed S9, which direction did the ribs face on the off white air flow tube? 

My S9 Autoset had the ribs on the output side, but I've seen 3 tear down videos/photos and the ribbed side faced either direction.

My thinking is the ribbed side should be on the input side. This would cause any air swirling around this tube and direct it back towards the center hole.

I've switched the tube direction a couple of times and maybe the change to sleepyhead data or noise level is too subtle to notice.

My S9 autoset was really clean for a used machine with 11000 hours so it could have been serviced and tube reversed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,729 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,354 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.