Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Intense air exhaust
RE: Intense air exhaust
My sleeping environment is dark, cool, and quiet athough I usually have a form of whitenoise on, be it my ceiling fan or some kind of rain ambience. I use a single, but relatively high gel/memory foam pillow, and a somewhat firm mattress.  I sleep on my side, but have been told that I regularly roll on to my back while asleep. My sleep apnea 'type' is that my lower jaw slides back against my throat due to extreme muscle relaxation. Likely a result from years of chewing on poorly aligned teeth (which also developed a mild overbite that I have to consciously thrust my lower jaw forward to fix). I did try a mouth splint before CPAP, but it was creating additional dental problems due to the drag on my teeth. My mouth does tend to open in my sleep, as a result of congestion issues, and a probable deviated septum.

I've tried a lot of different masks, and found a medium full face to generally be the most comfortable for me. It's possible that my mouth opening in my sleep might create a leak at the bottom of my mask, and may require a larger mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think adjustments to your sleeping position and possibly a soft cervical collar will yield positive results on your therapy and the significant flow limitations. A relatively high gel/memory foam pillow would be better replaced with a thinner more flexible down or unconsolidated chopped foam or down substitute.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Trojax,
I agree with the assessment that a "soft" cervical collar may help, especially if you find yourself rolling on your back.

It's important though that you do some research before buying.  Measure the area from your chin to your chest.  Try to get an idea how tall or short of a collar you need.  
The height of the collar depends if you have a longer neck or a short neck.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kachow what's poppin people it's ya boy back at it again with the sleep suffocation. I tried out most of the suggestions in this thread, and found my original bed configuration to be the best, with some added elevation to the top end where my head rests.

Oh and, I'm pretty sure the humidifier doesn't work anymore. Even on level 1 I get blasted by moisture, which causes my face to itch and, worse still, my mask diffuser to start whistling. I intend to replace the water compartment and hope that solves it.

Last night was my first almost full night of CPAP sleep since getting my machine, so I thought I should revisit this thread and get some more feedack on the Oscar information.

Post Reply Post Reply
If anyone ever needed bilevel pressure support, adjustments to sleep position or or a soft cervical collar, it might be you. 0.6 95% flow limit wow. You are really cranking a lot of effort to keep the air flowing. It would be interesting to see a zoomed flow chart to see just how flattened it is.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that's alarming. And here I thought CPAP would be the end of my feeling-like-a-corpse woes. I'll try some adjustments when I go to bed today. It may also be prudent to take a video of myself sleeping to help identify the issue.

Also:

Post Reply Post Reply
Trojax - I believe Sleeprider was referring to the Flow Rate graph and not the Flow Limit. You might pick a time when your flow limit is high to use for the zoomed Flow Rate image.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Trojax your full-night chart shows you have a very low AHI, but the high flow limits mean you are having to work for it. Something is causing your airway to be partially obstructed which limits the amount of air can pass. This means it takes a lot of effort to inhale, like forcing water through a kink in a hose or sucking a thick milkshake, things are not flowing easily. This is usually seen as a flattening on the flow rate chart where the wave-form is flattened on top rather than rounded. Most doctors and sleep professionals are going to tell you that you're doing great, but as long as that flow limitation is this high, you are going to feel fatigued because of the effort to breathe. My guess is that you sleep in a position where you tuck your chin or some other position that bends ore restricts the airway. Tall pillows, sleeping on an incline are a couple of ways this can happen. Crimson nape was correct, it is the flow rate chart that would be interesting to see. Here is our wiki article on "positional apnea" that explains what I suspect is going on, only you are not having apnea, but persistent clusters of very high flow limitation. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Understood. Your guess is correct; I move to a semi-fetal position consciously while falling asleep, although I may end up that way in my sleep anyway. I suppose the overtime my machine is putting in to keep my airways open also explains my original post about the high pressure leak from the mask when I wake up to roll over. It would also explain what the sleep technician I was diagnosed by years meant. I was told that my 'jaw slides against my throat in my sleep' but no elaboration past that was given. Perhaps they didn't know.

Anyway, I'll definitely try to change how I sleep, culminating in a cervical collar if I can't change my sleep habits on my own.

How zoomed in do you want this Flow Rate to be? Maximum?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Resmed S9 + Airfit P10: Issues with noise from exhaust vents perfstud07 0 655 07-07-2021, 09:47 PM
Last Post: perfstud07
  Dreamwear Gel Pillow - exhaust slot noise BoyrauchS 20 8,838 09-16-2020, 07:03 AM
Last Post: brianc18t
  Blocking mask exhaust: A way to decrease centrals? drmaestro 4 1,305 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Have you modified the P10 exhaust vents? Please share! Hydrangea 2 861 05-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [Equipment] NP10 exhaust leak. stephen D 3 1,153 09-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Last Post: silversnore
Question [CPAP] Exhaust port noise Rick1257 5 4,671 04-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Locating leak? Telling difference between exhaust and ? TheManseHen 7 3,284 01-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.