Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Intense air exhaust
Intense air exhaust
Hey,

I've recently become a CPAP user. It has been a series of mostly psychological hurdles, as my brain is trying to resist undoing 33 years of sleeping without a mask. The most recent hurdle now is that my machine is releasing enormous quantities of air. It occurs after I've fallen asleep for a few hours, then becomes loud enough to wake me up, and can be heard over even my ceiling fan set to high.  I don't believe it's a mask seal issue, as it is still enclosed when I wake up, and the sleep report information does not show the mask seal as anything other than good. The obvious culprit would be the pressure range, or perhaps one of the mask comfort settings. My current pressure range is 4-15. I've tried lowering the maximum pressure, but I noticed that my AHI rises pretty significantly.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Most relevant information about my machine should be on the left.

Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intense air exhaust
Welcome to Apnea Board!
You may have a large leak somewhere or your pressure needs adjusted, but we are just guessing without seeing your data.  

The first thing you need to do is download the OSCAR software.  Be sure there is an SD card in your Apap, anywhere from 2gb to 32gb.  The card must be in your Apap while you are sleeping.

Use the link in my signature line below to guide you in "organizing" an OSCAR chart.
You will also learn to take a Screenshot (use the F12 key) of the Daily page.  

You can use the Attachment Feature to post your data here, and we would be happy to take a look and see what's going on.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response. Hopefully these are to your specifications. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. What's going on is your flow limitations are out of control. We normally like to see the 95% Flow Limits stat at or less than 0.10.

The flow limitations are driving pressure up. The best tool you have is EPR, you have it set to 1, set it to 3. To allow. The EPR to work set your min pressure to 7. This will allow your min exhale pressure to be 4, the machines minimum.

At this pressure you should not need the ramp so consider turning it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

I was going to say the same as Gideon. Your very high flow limits are driving pressure up. Edit as he suggests.

I've used an Amara View myself and found it was a source of frustration when it came to keeping leaks down. Leak control came at the sacrifice of comfort. I had to move on to other masks before therapy could become effective. I tried ResMed F20 which was an improvement. Better yet for me is the Fisher and Paykel Vitera. My issue with the Amara View was side sleeping broke seal easily, and made it useless.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2022, 01:04 AM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum.   What's going on is your flow limitations are out of control.  We normally like to see the 95% Flow Limits stat at or less than 0.10.

The flow limitations are driving pressure up.  The best tool you have is EPR, you have it set to 1, set it to 3.  To allow. The EPR to work set your min pressure to 7.  This will allow your min exhale pressure to be 4, the machines minimum.

At this pressure you should not need the ramp so consider turning it off.

I sincerely appreciate your help. I will try these settings tonight, and report back tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job on organizing and posting the graphs. I see you've gotten great advice already. I think the snoring will lessen too with the new settings advised.
Sometimes all it takes is a small adjustment.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The noise was greatly improved, although not gone. I suppose I can't expect my iron (plastic?) lung to be utterly silent. Although it was only a short use last night, I'd like to get a review of the stats from OSCAR, just to be sure that everything is in order.

Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is that there's 2 things holding you back, mask leaks signified by the spikey leak trace and still too high flow limits. And these 2 combined can become a catch 22 where one feeds the other which makes them both worse. More detailed on what I mean, either leaks steal a bit of therapy efficiency and flow limits then go up requiring more pressure to combat flow limits and then it leaks more and flow limits stay up. Or flow limits are up because of mask leaks, then the PAP increases pressure because of flow limits and then it leaks more, and then... The cycle repeats itself.

Just my take but I'd tackle leaks by trying to make it seal better by a redo of the straps adjustment, and make certain the cushion is the right size for you. But do not go tight with the straps. Too tight ain't right. If it hurts, retry the strap tension, get another size mask cushion, or get a different mask.

To combat flow limits further, it's probably going to need more min pressure since EPR 3 is active. But right now that might set up more leaks.

Leaks get you another way too. They can disrupt your sleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Describe your sleep environment. Are you using more than one pillow or sleeping inclined? Are you aware of your chin dropping in a way that makes breathing harder? That's what I see. In your case, you just have very high flow limitations, but if we can get your chin off your chest it might get a lot better. Read the wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Resmed S9 + Airfit P10: Issues with noise from exhaust vents perfstud07 0 655 07-07-2021, 09:47 PM
Last Post: perfstud07
  Dreamwear Gel Pillow - exhaust slot noise BoyrauchS 20 8,838 09-16-2020, 07:03 AM
Last Post: brianc18t
  Blocking mask exhaust: A way to decrease centrals? drmaestro 4 1,305 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Have you modified the P10 exhaust vents? Please share! Hydrangea 2 860 05-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [Equipment] NP10 exhaust leak. stephen D 3 1,153 09-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Last Post: silversnore
Question [CPAP] Exhaust port noise Rick1257 5 4,671 04-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Locating leak? Telling difference between exhaust and ? TheManseHen 7 3,283 01-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.