Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Is Prisma 20A quieter than Airsense 10 autoset
RE: Is Prisma 20A quieter than Airsense 10 autoset
If you check the Oscar data published on this site you will see the many advantages of the Resmed Autoset machines. It's not only quiet, but provides true bilevel pressure is a very comfortable and effective algorithm that senses flow limitations to the extent obstructive events are prevented, no just reacted to.  We had a member that compared six machines and published results in a blog posted from this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rification   There are issues in the methods and sample size, but it's independent of manufacturer influence.  Here are the machines compared:
  1. APEX iCH Auto
  2. DeVilbiss Blue Auto Plus
  3. Löwenstein Prisma 20a
  4. Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP
  5. ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
  6. ResVent iBreeze Auto CPAP

There are also good reviews of the Lowenstein Prisma 20a and Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset in the Reviews forum. Both are reviewed very favorably and the Resmed has many more individuals contributing to the thread.

A very good study, Comparative Assessment of Several Automatic CPAP Devices' Responses : a bench test study compares the algorithms of AirSense 10 (ResMed), Dreamstar (Sefam), Icon (Fisher & Paykel), Resmart (BMC), Somnobalance (Weinmann), System One (Respironics) and XT-Auto (Apex). unfortunately this study did not include the Lowenstein.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2021, 11:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: A bench test study compares the algorithms of AirSense 10 (ResMed), Dreamstar (Sefam), Icon (Fisher & Paykel), Resmart (BMC), Somnobalance (Weinmann), System One (Respironics) and XT-Auto (Apex). unfortunately this study did not include the Lowenstein.

Thanks I going to read that. In fact Lowenstein is the new name for Weinmann (Maybe a company absorbtion).

Somnobalance is like 10 years older than Prisma 20a.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2021, 11:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: We had a member that compared six machines and published results in a blog posted from this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rification   There are issues in the methods and sample size, but it's independent of manufacturer influence.  Here are the machines compared:
  1. APEX iCH Auto
  2. DeVilbiss Blue Auto Plus
  3. Löwenstein Prisma 20a
  4. Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP
  5. ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
  6. ResVent iBreeze Auto CPAP

Wtf, it's crazy, I didn't think about the AHi could be so fare between what the machine say and the reality.

Thank's a lot for this link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,

I just recieved the Airsense 10 and I can answer to my question.

YES PRISMA 20A IS QUIETER

I going to test it and maybe I'll make a review or a pro/con comparaison.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty significant size difference based on your photo. If you are able to do a comparative review, please be sure to post it in the reviews forum under the CPAP section. Thanks!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2021, 07:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Pretty significant size difference based on your photo.  If you are able to do a comparative review, please be sure to post it in the reviews forum under the CPAP section. Thanks!

Hi @SleepRider,

Ho yes but the photo exaggerates the difference, and a big difference in term of weight too.

Without lateral cover:
Airsense = 1015g
Prisma    = 1269g

Lateral cover:
Airsense = ??? (don't have it)
Prisma    =144g

Humidifier:
Airsense = 253g
Prisma    = 609g

CPAP + Humidifer = 1268g vs 1878g = 610g of difference xd

In hand the Airsens seem to be a toy in comparaison (a hollow toy).

To come back to the subject, in fac the noise seem to be like a resonance of the airflow and not the pump.

Ps: If I do a review I'll try to post it in the good section Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys,

So after a night (with a good treatments of my ahi), I already notice lots of differences. I'll make a review about the prisma soon.

But before that I have to fix the noise question, I start to doubt about a default of my new airsense 10 auto.

For me it's clearly not like dead silence, I don't ear the mask's sound at 7 and 12cmH2O. Just the noise of the airsense, particulary on inhalations. (In comparaison with the prisma I just ear the flow of air in my mask  and hose)

I make some sound test with my iPhone, and the decibels values are the same (38/42 db expiration/inhalation close to the cpap like power level), but not in the same range of frequencys.

- airsense (22.2 LAeq) is in the band of 250Hz (motor and airflow) and 2kHz (that annoying sound out from intake air at inhalations).

- prisma (22.3 LAeq) is in the band of 80Hz (motor and airflow) and 800Hz (a little whistle).

That why the prisma have a low sound and the airsens a hight-pitched sound a the same sound pressure.

So I learned decibels are not the only factor between silent and noisy. Thanks CPAP Wink

Due to your comments I start to thinking about my resmed has a problem. I don't have any idea how to solve this suspicion.
My doc said the resmed is loud, so if I tell him that, he will just say it's normal, I told you it's noisy.

Maybe some of you are able to make a test with the same free app OpeNoise to check if the sound of your Airsense is in the same range of frequency?

If you have other CPAP brand and models your welcome to share your results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I trialled both the Airsense 10 and Prisma 20A, and on the noise front, I can say I found the Prisma to be significantly less intrusive. Not that the AS10 was particularly noisy. What I didn't like about the Airsense noise what the constant change in tone with every breath in and out. That doesn't happen with the Prisma, presumably because of the constant speed pump.

With the AS10 I also didn't like being woken up on numerous occasions in the middle of the night feeling like it was trying to inflate me like a balloon. I found the algorithm on the Prisma much less aggressive, but just as effective if not more so.

As you can probably guess, I opted for the Prisma 20A and am very happy with my decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried prisma smart max at the same time with the airsense 10, and prisma smart max is considerably more quiet respect the resmed. Prisma machines are the best in the silent performance i ever seen
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Airsense 10, not sure why people call it "Dead Quiet" but mine makes a air whooosh sounds as I breath. The machine imitates my breathing sounds. And its a brand new Jun23 manufactured model. Got it checked, all ok. I guess dead quiet = rhythmic breathing sounds from machines. I am new to CPAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 5 268 Today, 04:34 AM
Last Post: bobgsm
  Prisma Smart Max Revvysue 4 109 Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Revvysue
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,294 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 189 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 983 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,859 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 141 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.