Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Is SoClean 2 safe to use?
RE: Is SoClean 2 safe to use?
(06-16-2017, 08:57 AM)saskatoonie Wrote: I'm not washing my hose anymore, for me that's worth $400 !

The only difference between a not-washed hose treated with SoClean and a not-washed hose not treated with SoClean is that the former arrangement costs $400. In other words, if it's worth $400 to do it the former way it's worth $0 to do it the latter way. In both cases you run the same risk of contamination. The SoClean is not, and is not designed to be, an alternative to washing.
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I used an Ozone air "purifier" in my living room for some time.
One thing that I noticed was when we returned from vacation, we would notice odors (we had cats) that we would not normally notice.
I'm sure part of this was due to scent fatigue (the thing that makes it difficult to tell if you have bad breath or body odor), but in reading on the units, some claim that the ozone in the air actually desensitizes our sense of smell... this being how a single unit with a 6" fan can "purify" the air in a 2000 square foot home without any circulation assistance to exchange the air between rooms.

Ultimately, the white powdery deposits collected on the fan to the point that it no longer worked. I could have taken the unit apart and cleaned it, but instead I tossed it.
-- Rich
Links to Download SleepyHead here
Organize SleepyHead Data
Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My own related question hasn't been answered:

Does the SoClean2 machine cause any danger to my health? When I put on the mask, I smell a residual odor I assume is ozone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone can be harmful.  it also has a half life of about 30min and breaks down to oxygen so the risk is time dependent. The only way to answer you question is to know the concentration of ozone you are inhaling and if it is ozone. We have no way to know either.

Hear is EPA information on the health risks: https://www.epa.gov/ozone-pollution/heal...-pollution
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
If ozone has a half life of 30 minutes, then the residual smell on my mask cannot be ozone. I wonder what it is.

The SoClean machine operates when I am not using my BiPAP or humidifier, so I assume I must not be breathing any ozone.

I'm hoping it isn't otherwise harmful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone is a strong oxidizer. That's how it kills bacteria. It is not, however, a cleaner. You may be smelling some uncleaned residue that has been partially oxidized but not removed. Although you have to dig for it, So Clean concedes it is not a cleaner and recommends regular washing of your equipment in the FAQs on their website.
Post Reply Post Reply
The length of time for ozone to decay into molecular oxygen at sea level is very short so there is very little chance of ozone causing any problem to your health if you provide some time between ozone treatment and use.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Melman and PaytonA,

Thank you for your kindness and prompt responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
I been using it for e months. It dose not clea oils off the equipment but it sanitizes it. I have not seen or had any troubles with mask, hose , or machine. My mask has a slight yellowing only where it touchs my skin. I put a napkin under my mask by my mouth to asord drool. The area where the mask touches the skin is the only area that is yellowing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] skin irritation [SoClean to blame?] FatherCarrozza 28 4,261 03-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Last Post: BeepSleep
  Resmed S10 SD card safe to insert in sleepy head lugnut 2 178 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Last Post: lugnut
Exclaimation OMG now DME are selling SoClean Robert121571 31 1,570 10-01-2018, 11:20 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Pulse oximeter (SpO2) safe to use every night? MyronH 4 615 04-18-2018, 02:29 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Is it safe to increase the minimum pressure of my cpap? Kalule1 13 1,145 04-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Are SoClean Side Effects causing harm Jmosk 2 1,912 12-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  dishwasher Safe! GuppyDRV 6 738 11-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.