Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: Is SoClean 2 safe to use?
There isn't any document or study that provides any conclusive results of its efficacy.    Their FAQ's state that a manual periodic cleaning is required.    At the end of the day, it's your money. Its price will buy a lot of Dawn.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No there is nothing that says it is unsafe to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a SoClean 2 for over a month. I wash my mask off with sunlight dish soap, dry it with a microfibre cloth and place the mask (Philips Dreamwear nasal mask) into the machine. I also fill the water tank at this time.  The SoClean unit runs a 1pm for 7  minutes automatically.  This is late enough for me to always be out of bed.  SoClean will not clean the oil off your mask. Hopefully it disinfects the water in the tank because I only empty mine every 3-5 days. I'm not washing my hose anymore, for me that's worth $400 ! I need to purge a blast of air through the mask when I first put it on to clear the ozone out of the system. Is it safe? I don't know, does it work? Who knows? I'm happy I don't clean my hose which is a royal pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply
My question however was about safety not efficacy
Any information regarding safety specifically??
Post Reply Post Reply
Safe for you?  Safe for the materials in the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Safe for the user
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the SoClean 2 for about 7 months.  I use it in an unusual way-I only clean the hose. The hose to me was always the most difficult to clean, so cleaning via the SoClean is a time consuming blessing.  

Based upon what I read, the ozone can be damaging to the seals of the CPAP machine.  Therefore, the ozone from my SoClean 2 only runs through the CPAP hose and not the machine.  I use a configuration that inserts the SoClean delivery hose into the machine connection end of the CPAP hose.  I do not use the SoClean included connection wherein the ozone is delivered into the water chamber.  I use parts of the connection that came with the SoClean, plus the small funnel end of large funnel I bought at Home Depot.  It fits snugly within the soft rubber end of the CPAP hose.

If you read some of the early comments regarding the SoClean, you will find a very thorough discussion, by engineering types, regarding the potential damaging effects of ozone on silicone seals.  I have always felt that I had too much invested in my expensive ASV machine to risk possible ozone damage to the seals.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's very helpful
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Physically I suppose it is safe, however the So_Clean is definitely dangerous to your checking account.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2017, 08:57 AM)saskatoonie Wrote: I'm not washing my hose anymore, for me that's worth $400 !

The only difference between a not-washed hose treated with SoClean and a not-washed hose not treated with SoClean is that the former arrangement costs $400. In other words, if it's worth $400 to do it the former way it's worth $0 to do it the latter way. In both cases you run the same risk of contamination. The SoClean is not, and is not designed to be, an alternative to washing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.