Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Is lack of battery an immediate risk?
Is lack of battery an immediate risk?
That is, if power goes out while CPAP user is asleep, is there an immediate risk of death by suffocation, heart attack, …? Are there statistics on this? Does this depend on nature or severity of condition or type of equipment (face mask vs nasal pillows, …)?

I'm not asking about long-term effects of not having power; only immediate effects.

(In my own experience (on-grid), I wake up fairly quickly when there's an outage; I'm asking on behalf of another user new to cpap.)

Thx to all in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is lack of battery an immediate risk?
With a nasal mask, you would just breathe through your mouth. Full Face masks have an anti-asphixia valve in the elbow that open when there is no pressure. That valve is a flapper and the clicking usually wakes most people up from the noise. As long as you don't defeat a safety feature, the risk is near zero.

If there were a finite risk, I am sure the FDA would have required a power alarm. Oxygen concentrators have power loss alarms.

I have a small light with an alarm that is plugged into my same outlet that can alert me. An internal battery powers the audible alarm and light should power be lost. Such a device may help calm your friend's fear.

One like this:
[Image: 41eH06vSK7L.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Over the years, I have lost power many times. Usually I awaken gradually as I realize breathing effort has increased. Although I use nasal pillows, I do not breath through my mouth in an outage; it just wakes me up. There is no health hazard, and we both use the same mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day FeelingBetter. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Put your mask on and lie down. Don't turn the machine on...

Did you die?

Masks are vented and have an anti-asphyxiation valve. Even if for some reason the valve and vent fail, the human urge to preserve life is overwhelming. Even if the systems failed, you would tear the mask off your face long before you asphyxiated. This is, of course, assuming you have normal upper body mobility. A quadriplegic would be in a different situation, but (from my limited knowledge) wouldn't be using standard CPAP equipment anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 08:49 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day FeelingBetter. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Put your mask on and lie down. Don't turn the machine on...

Did you die?
Wait ....  They didn't answer.  Can somebody go check on FellingBetter?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all -- very helpful : )
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FeelingBetter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to both you and your friend with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Luckily the only power loss I have had is when the cats knocked the plug out of the unit. Could still breath without any issues.

I have also gotten up in the night, got back into the bed, put my mask on and forgot to turn the unit on and went back to sleep. No problems. If you haven't done this yet, you will.  Too-funny

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,822 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,499 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Battery pack for Resmed Airsense 10 Jantoe 15 3,884 12-07-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.