Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Is there an Auto CPAP machine that does NOT light up at all?
RE: Is there an Auto CPAP machine that does NOT light up at all?
My dreamstation only lights up for like 30 seconds after you turn it on my the button after that all lights on it are off including the one on the button. I’ve also noticed if you just put on the mask and wait for the auto start to come on the display don’t light up at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also like to find an auto CPAP machine where the lights can be disabled. I'm in the market for a new machine, and want to find one with a humidifier, and good integration with open source sleep analysis software...but being able to avoid those nighttime lights would be great.

Sleeping masks just don't work well with my CPAP mask. Covering up the lights effectively is difficult in a pitch black dark room (which is my goal).

For those curious about why it's better to sleep in a maximally dark room, check out the book "Why We Sleep" by leading sleep scientist Matthew Walker.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the exception of a very small green light (on/off button) my AirSense 10 AutoSet blacks out when in use. 

When I do get up during the night to go to the bathroom, I simply disconnect the air hose from my mask. When I reattach the hose to my mask, a dim light does come on, but only for a few seconds, and then it goes out. 

I suppose I never really gave all this much thought until now. There's also a small light on the power source itself, but it's so dim it's barely visible at night. 

To me, it looks like ResMed really thought out all of this.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought my machine (Resmed Aisense 10 Autoset) was totally dark, but waited to check last night before posting.  A few seconds after hitting the start button mine goes totally black.  There's a small green light on the power block, but it's a flat box so you can just turn it over to get rid of that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you John24 and Big Guy! I'm really glad to find out that Airsense 10 has minimal lights while running. The light on the power brick could also be covered with black electrical tape.

It looks like Airsense 10 might be a good candidate for me, since I see it also support OSCAR which I am interested in trying out.

Robert121571 in an older comment also mentioned Dreamstation is good about keeping lights out. I've also been considering Dreamstation Go, and hope it is similarly good at minimal lights.

The amount of lights seems not to be mentioned in most CPAP reviews that I have found so far. I wish there was a database of these CPAP machine characteristics which could take into account all the important features and caveats of CPAP equipment...something crowdsourced by the community with moderation tools.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2019, 09:55 AM)sleepizen Wrote: Thank you John24 and Big Guy! I'm really glad to find out that Airsense 10 has minimal lights while running. The light on the power brick could also be covered with black electrical tape.

It looks like Airsense 10 might be a good candidate for me, since I see it also support OSCAR which I am interested in trying out.

Robert121571 in an older comment also mentioned Dreamstation is good about keeping lights out. I've also been considering Dreamstation Go, and hope it is similarly good at minimal lights.

The amount of lights seems not to be mentioned in most CPAP reviews that I have found so far. I wish there was a database of these CPAP machine characteristics which could take into account all the important features and caveats of CPAP equipment...something crowdsourced by the community with moderation tools.

While the DreamStation may be good at keeping lights out, my wife is not happy with hers at all. In the little over a year and half she has had hers, we are on our 4th modem and second machine. Her first machine (after about 3 months) would run for about 30 seconds and then shut down. It was something internal and not the power supply as we tried the power supply from her new machine and it did the same thing. Luckily our DME did a swap with a new machine at no cost. Her doctor is not happy as the doctor cannot access her machine to make any changes. We have to bring the machine to each appointment so she can download the card and make changes.

I have an AirSense 10 and am very happy with it. I prefer the ResMed algorithm over the one Phillips uses, but that is a personal observation. Only drawback is the water tank for the humidifier is a tight fit and you need to be careful when refilling it. Small price to pay for what I think is a better machine.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to put it on the floor, just buy a computer stand. The reason why you can't put it directly on the carpet is because you need to have some ventilation for the humidifier heater.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no CPAP expert by any means, but from what I have heard since becoming a member here, is that the Airsense 10 AutoSet is a top notch machine. 

I was very lucky. My sleep doc ordered mine for me. I didn't have a clue as to what to get, or what to avoid. He even ordered the ClimateLine heated hose.  Big Grin

From what I know and have experienced with the 10 AutoSet, I'm very happy with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2019, 08:51 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm no CPAP expert by any means, but from what I have heard since becoming a member here, is that the Airsense 10 AutoSet is a top notch machine. 

I was very lucky. My sleep doc ordered mine for me. I didn't have a clue as to what to get, or what to avoid. He even ordered the ClimateLine heated hose.  Big Grin

From what I know and have experienced with the 10 AutoSet, I'm very happy with it.
Big Guy,

May or may not need the heated hose up in Northern AZ. Down here in the south I don't use it. I have a 10 ft hose and the humidifier is set for pass-over and it works fine for me. One of the good things about the dry heat in the desert.

BTW, my wife has a Dreamstation ASV and is on her third machine in just over 2 years. She just got a replacement yesterday after going through 2 machines and 4 modems. Here pressures are all messed up as in the Dr gave her a setting which almost blows her mask off. Until we get something close to working from her Dr, we decided we aren't really going to touch it. I don't want to p*** her off any further. She is one of those that doesn't expect her patients to take an active role in their treatment. On the other hand, met with mine today and talked with him about a couple of things including what works and doesn't work for me. Should him my OSCAR AHI graph and explained the 10-15 around 2-3 in the morning was when I was trying to convince one of my cats I was still asleep and she was not going to get breakfast that early. Laugh-a-lot
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2019, 10:14 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:
(08-09-2019, 08:51 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm no CPAP expert by any means, but from what I have heard since becoming a member here, is that the Airsense 10 AutoSet is a top notch machine. 

Big Guy,

May or may not need the heated hose up in Northern AZ. Down here in the south I don't use it. I have a 10 ft hose and the humidifier is set for pass-over and it works fine for me. One of the good things about the dry heat in the desert.

BTW, my wife has a Dreamstation ASV and is on her third machine in just over 2 years. She just got a replacement yesterday after going through 2 machines and 4 modems. Here pressures are all messed up as in the Dr gave her a setting which almost blows her mask off. Until we get something close to working from her Dr, we decided we aren't really going to touch it. I don't want to p*** her off any further. She is one of those that doesn't expect her patients to take an active role in their treatment. On the other hand, met with mine today and talked with him about a couple of things including what works and doesn't work for me. Should him my OSCAR AHI graph and explained the 10-15 around 2-3 in the morning was when I was trying to convince one of my cats I was still asleep and she was not going to get breakfast that early. Laugh-a-lot

Up here in the winter, we can and do gets temps in the high teens. Well below freezing. And, our humidity can get high at times, especially during the monsoon season. Last week, it got to 45%. 

I'm glad that my sleep doc did order a heated hose though. It'll be a year of use in early September. I think I've only had the hose temp. on a few times. For the most part, I do fine w/o any heat.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,495 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.