Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Issues Fitting DreamWare Full Face Mask
Issues Fitting DreamWare Full Face Mask
I got my DreamStation Auto CPAP w/humidifier back in July, 2017, and have tried a variety of masks (over the nose, under the nose, full face) from a variety of vendors--got the first two from the CPAP company (Preferred HomeCare), but, after those and a chin strap, have had to buy them from Amazon and other places to try them.

Biggest issue I have is VERY dry mouth, even with humidifier maxed out and heated tube maxed out and tight chin strap.  So far the full face masks have not been particularly better, mainly coz they leak or make noises.

My best nasal mask so far has been the DreamWare Nasal Mask (NOT pillows) and M frame with S cushion works fine, my apneas are typically below 1...but, still got the dry mouth issue (wife has observed me while I'm sleeping, and I'm neither snoring, nor as she has noticed, opening my mouth with the chin strap in position).  Prior to going to bed I liberally use Biotene to try and prevent dry mouth, but, it's not real effective (or doesn't last the entire night--I normally don't wake up until the alarm goes off).

Soooo...I tried the DreamWare Full Face Mask, finally was able to buy the Fitting Kit with all the sizes, and initially tried the M frame (same exact component as the nasal mask frame), and the S cushion (same sized cushion as with the nasal mask), and first night didn't go so well, as I was actually snoring in the mask (wife woke me up to let me know) and apneas were 5.5.  

After talking to my Dr., I changed the DreamStation settings to go up 1 (from my setting of 9 cm H2O, to 10), and set it to Auto with max pressure of 20...which seemed to fix the snoring part, as even when I deliberately tried, I could NOT snore with my mouth open).  But...still had very dry mouth, and even after playing around with the mask strap adjustments and positioning, my apneas were over 2.1.

I see an issue with the fit, in that I DO require the S cushion, but, the mouth piece (all one part..can't mix and match) is too small, and the corners of my mouth will break the seal from time to time, causing nose and leaks and maybe contributing to apneas being higher.  I've tried the M cushion, but then the nasal part will leak, while the mouth part is right size.  

Sooo...thinking they need to provide more sizes, or allow mix & match parts...and I may just go back to the nasal mask, since it works fine.

But, my real issue is the dry mouth.  I've talked over the medicines I'm taking with my Dr., and none of them should be causing dry mouth, and...when I have tried sleeping without the CPAP...my mouth doesn't get dry at all, so, got to be something to do with the blowing air, I think.  I go through almost a whole tank of water each night, so, assume I can't provide any more humidity...so, both my Dr. and I are stumped on what to do to alleviate my dry mouth--and it's starting to cause dental issues, with a large increase in cavities.

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Issues Fitting DreamWare Full Face Mask
You are most likely leaking air from your mouth. That will cause dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Coffee Man...I kinda thought that was the issue with the nasal mask, but, I thought that by wearing a full face mask, with high enough pressure, this would equalize nose and mouth so that no air flow would come out of mouth, and...with the humidifier working, it would stop the dryness? I guess I'm wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
While chin straps do the trick for some people they are probably not as good as a soft cervical collar for keeping the mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 4 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.