Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Just some questions from a new user
Just some questions from a new user
Thanks in advance this looks like a great forum. Started therapy about a month or more back. Against perceived odds I got used to it pretty quickly and don't get up nearly as much as I used to. I am using the mask they gave me during the trial period and besides having to lose the mustache it's been working fairly well. seems to start the night well sealed but by early morning seems to not seal as well. The main problem I have though is my mouth. They sent me a chin strap but it was next to useless. I made my own by double wrapping some elastic bandage like you use for sprains safety pinning it on top and it works pretty good. It keeps my mouth closed better but my wife says I kept her awake last night with my lips fluttering as the air escaped through them. I have quite a few teeth missing and already have dry mouth which is hard on teeth. Thinking too many open channels to the lips. Short of taping my mouth shut what might work.
Also I downloaded the rescan software and got the readings from the card in my resmed s9 but it might as well be greek. Where can I learn to read it. I did a two month trial with the machine which sent info to the supplier daily and they set the machine up by modem to get it just right for me and they set the new one the same. If the air blows my lips open even with a tight chinstrap could the pressure be too high?
Thank You : Daniel
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just some questions from a new user
Hey I went looking and found this super informative page for the rescan report, still not 100% sure what to do with it but was able to compare my own report to it. Still working on it.
realsleep.co.uk/rsuk/documents/rescan0311.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum
If you cannot keep mouth closed with the nasal mask and chinstrap, might be worth a trial with full face mask. You can breathe through your nose or mouth without compromise to your therapy. It might be not as comfortable but sort of a compromise

This might helps with ResScan
Interpretation guide http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf
Tutorial http://apneaboard.com/resscan.htm

Whats the model of your S9, model name printed next to on/off button
AutoSet and Elite models are data capable machines, Escape models are not

Edit: one more, S9 data management guide
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daniel, WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy so, you might ask to try some different ones.
Some people have to try "many" different masks 'till they find the right one. So don't be shy about asking to try different masks 'till you find the right one that works for you.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Im a full face mask user after having several,problems with two other nasal masks. It took a little bit to get used to but ive been using this one for sixteen months with terrific results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daniel, I tried several chinstraps and full face masks before settling on my current chinstrap. It may take some time to find what works best for keeping your mouth closed. I dont believe the mouth leaks will hugely effect the AHI, its more like it disrupts your sleep, thats just my personal guess though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New user with questions and issues cps22 13 898 10-13-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.