Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Longtime BiPAP w/ centrals needs new machine advice
RE: Longtime BiPAP w/ centrals needs new machine advice
SDave, I just can't imagine what you're going through. I'm sure you have your moments but I truly admire your ability to stay positive, keep your sense of humor & help others. we don't know til tested but I seriously doubt I would handle the cards you've been dealt with the grace you project here. I keep you & other folks here coping with such difficult ailments in my thoughts...
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Thanks sheepless.

Without sounding like I'm preaching, the back issue and really any other thing I've had to face is not doable on my own. I have God walking beside, carrying me at times. Reminiscent of the Footprint in the Sand poem. I pray and get the help I need. Happy Friday AB land.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2020, 12:44 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Sorry for the delay, OK back pain can be a big pain.

I don't remember all the medical names for all the back issues I have. I do know this, I have chronic lumbar nerve damage, have had ruptured disks with ongoing degenerative disk disease, was on Prednisone for about 4 years which setup osteoporosis, have broken all 5 lumbar vertebrae and at least one in the thoracic area, weaned off Prednisone and did the diagnostic to prove medical necessity for Ablation - a medical surgery to burn the nerves in the lumbar that sense pain, and then I went for a Spinal Cord Stimulant implant. I also had Kyphoplasty done on lumbar vertebrae L2 and L4 to reshape the bones that were otherwise crushed. I needed psychiatry doctor interview to permit the SCS and then a trial twice for the SCS due to request for a different brand. The second SCS trial lesser invasive failed as T10 thoracic vertebra was invading epidural space. New and invasive trial included laminectomy of T10 and implant of the electrodes. A week later was the SCS implant part 2.

Sorry for thumbnail sketchy info. Anyway, all the stuff that occurred had me at a back pain level of 10+++++++++ for over a year. Opioid style pain meds were of zero effect. I once was stuck on the couch where I had slept overnight for about 6 more hours because I could not move off the couch myself. The ambulance crew picked me up to transfer to the stretcher, rode to ER.  The SCS implant does work well as my pain is a manageable 4-6 of 10. I do have a rollator/4 wheeled walker I use every day as my left leg may collapse at any time, dumping me on the floor. I have a massive rehab power wheelchair insurance bought if I need it. I am on no pain pills with the SCS doing its job well. Normally, I must sleep in my hospital bed with air mattress at the house. And yes absolutely, back pain can disrupt sleep and interfere with PAP therapy.

Back pain is a real pain.
I'm really distressed to hear about your situation SarcasticDave. That is bloody awful. My stimulator trials did nothing for me. Tried the high-frequency Nevro & then the medtronic unit. Very very disheartening but I knew going into it the chances of success were slim.
I am on a journey for restful sleep like most on here. If I can get just 10% better or get something in Stage 3, as opposed to the 0% recorded, I will be happy.
I am really looking forward to getting my Aircurve ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my SCS implant brand is Boston Scientific. I have 2 therapy programs running at the same time, one that feels like TENS tingling and a non-tingle variant. The tech edited the settings some so that tingling is a minimum but I can still feel it some. I have therapy from the SCS mid-back to toes.

Anyway, your AirCurve ASV will do great. And it takes very little setup time to get it working well. That is the machine type I had until late last year when the COPD caught up to the central apnea.

We'll give you any pointers we can to help make it a success. Feel free to post questions about ASV therapy and I can do my best to help out.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie needs advice please. Honeybea 4 89 09-29-2020, 05:21 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  Mellen Bipap Help mellen 2 107 09-27-2020, 11:35 PM
Last Post: mellen
  Can use some advice on what to expect and what to do first. triemferent 15 247 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Yet another new user needing advice! SleepyMac 19 493 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 or Aircurve VAuto Bipap Freddy zz 8 165 09-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Having Centrals but not Diagnosed with Centrals, also having CSR's Primalyogi 193 3,947 09-21-2020, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Primalyogi
  need advice SleeplessSL 5 175 09-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.